Chapter Three: The Brain

• Dedicated to Deni

Back at the pub, a hefty truck pulled up in the back ally, spitting out smoke into the quickly darkening night. A figure emerged from the front seat and stepped out wearing knee high boots, loose black pants, a studded leather jacket, and a skull and cross bone cap. To the untrained eye, "this figure" would have looked intimidating, maybe even frightening, but Precious and Madame knew that Denise was nothing more than a harmless truck driver.

When Denise reached the back of the truck, she unlocked the padlocked door and pushed it up, revealing box after box of booze, while unloading each box as Precious emerged behind her.

"Hey there Denise! I was beginning to think you weren't showing up tonight!" Precious exclaimed.

"You won't believe the kind of morons they've got driving on the interstate! I nearly crashed because a freaking lunatic decided to throw a tire out his window. A tire! Who in the HELL does that?!" Denise fumed. "They'll give anyone a license these days."

Precious chuckled as she helped lift the boxes of booze into the bar. Madame then appeared at the door, holding it open so they could come in. " Now what was all that about?" she asked as they set the boxes on the bar counter.

"Don't mind me. It's the usual junk." Denise said flashing her iconic grin.

They unloaded the rest of the truck, cracking jokes and catching up. When they were done, Precious invited them to a drink inside. Sitting around in a booth, all three began discussing their plans for their day off. Denise hardly said much. Madame noticed and asked, "You feeling alright there Denise?"

"There's just been something irking me lately." Denise said. "Something about the truckers they seem to be hiring down at the station is off. I just don't know what it is. Especially, that Mike fella, the one with the bad case of gingivitis. Something about him just rubs me the wrong way."

"Funny you mention him, just this afternoon we had a guy half--"

Before Precious could finish her sentence a loud bang called their attentions to the truck outside. Denise, who'd taken off her cap, slid it back on. A silver infinity symbol shone at the bottom left corner for a moment and disappeared. She knew what was happening before they reached the door. She took off running and taking her action as a signal, Madame and Precious followed.