Prologue

The wind was frighteningly cold today, sweeping over the high-forged mountains of Liyue, whose peaks glimmered in the morning sun. Aether couldn't help but shiver as its raging claws clutched him. Usually he would be in bed right now, however a special event had called for him just when the sun rose.

He shivered in the biting breeze, tucking his blanket closer around him. Paimon had gone off with Sara to taste test a new version of Sticky Honey Roast, so she didn't find out what was happening. He felt terrible. Leaving them behind with a simple "goodbye". What kind of friend does that? Abandon each other? 

But Aether knew the consequences of him staying. It would do much more harm than a trust betrayal. As he neared the tip of Mt. Hulao, he couldn't help the tears that pricked at his eyes. Though he was going home, he felt trapped once more.

So this is how it will end, huh? He thought, looking up at the golden haired girl ahead of him, his twin.

He breathed slowly, before stepping up with her on the dew dripping grass. Unknown to him, far away, in a frost bitten cave filled with books and other contraptions, stood a blonde haired man, his turquoise eyes watching Aether step away from him like a hawk, and knowing that the cost of him leaving would be terrible.

I will have him. Nobody else can.