Dining With a Splash of Memories

I walked to the car, getting into the passengers seat.
"I found a few restaurants that may suit you and your preferences in dining." Mallory said, holding up a small list.
"Good I hope so, you certainly narrowed it down from everything in a 50 mile radius at the least." I replied, taking the list and read over it, a few I wasn't feeling like going to. Some I didn't want to deal with the drive. "Mallory I want you to bring us here." I told him, putting on my seat belt and setting aside the list. I still had the fabric wrapped hair clip in my jacket pocket, I knew I'd have to ask about it sometime during dinner.
Mallory started driving the way there, it was almost like he didn't even need to use his hands. I should have expected at least some experience in driving from him, though he's got extra skills. Alot of extra skills.
As we arrived to the restaurant I felt a bit nervous, I hadn't always been a fan of public places.
"Mx. Y/N are you sure you'd like to go inside? Your facial expression changed." Mallory asked, I almost didn't hear him the first time. I didn't say anything, it wasn't like he could tell me to answer. I didn't feel like explaining either way.
"Mallory could you get us a table?" It was more of an order than a question. Mallory gave a simple nod and went up to a waitress. A few words exchanged and Mallory gestured me to follow the waitress. I followed behind as the waitress brought us to our table. I took my seat, still wondering when exactly I should ask. Depending on his reaction or answer it might make the dinner a little awkward if I asked now. People had already been looking at us as if we were a couple so if and when I ask I might as well be quiet about it. The waitress took our drink orders and the second she walked away I reached in my pocket for the hair clip still wrapped in that velvet fabric.
"Mallory do you mind me asking what this is?" I asked him, I wanted to know who Abigail was, where she was, what happened to allow him to even have this hair clip.
Mallory looked as if he hesitated when finding the answer. "I cannot lie to you, Mx. Y/N. That is indeed Abigails hair clip. Abigail had been the one before you. The one that I had a contract with. She was greatly different from most contracts, I wanted a way to remember her. There is not more to your question." He answered, his voice sounded different in this.
"Thank you for your- honesty-? I guess." I said, handing him the hair clip still wrapped in the fabric.
Mallory seemed extremely careful with the hairclip as if it was something of great value, setting it in his front pocket.
The waitress was back and given us our drinks, we took our orders. The rest of the night didn't seem as awkward as I thought it might be. I still wonder what else Mallory could be keeping. However, he didn't seem so afraid of hiding anything.