Forty-Eight

Grayson Sanders

Present Day

"Remind me why we are doing this again?"

Jenna had trapped me in a dark room.

Well no, not really, we were supposed to train in her family dojo but today was a little different. And until now, she still hasn't explained why we had to practice in the dark.

"You need to work on your reflexes!" Jenna yelled from somewhere out there.

"My what?!" I yelled back, "I'm sorry but I think I'm- OWWW!"

Something hit my back.

I turned around to see a tennis ball on my feet. What the hell?

"You just hit me with a tennis ball!" I yelled into the darkness.

No Gray, she obviously hit you with a clarinet.

Not now. Also...clarinet?

Okay, I've learned not to question these types of things anymore...

"You see, it's easy to dodge something when you can see it." She explained, "But you shouldn't just rely on your eyes for self-defense, what if someone attacks you from behind?"

"You're right but I don't understand why we ha-"

I sensed that something was coming my way so I immediately jumped forward, missing the flying tennis ball. Gosh, how many tennis balls does she have?!

"Hmm good...but it could be better." Was Jenna's only comment.

"Did anyone ever tell you that you're like that bad guy who can't be seen but then they can see everything their victim's doing?" I asked her.

She giggled, "Well now you're not the only one who has these weird, shadow-like abilities who can make themselves invisible."

"Pfft, but can you make portals?"

Silence.

Jenna?

Oh, shoot, where did you go?

She's plotting something, isn't she?

I know it.

I turned around, examining every dark corner. No luck but at least I could keep watch of any flying tennis balls.

"OWWW!" I hissed, rubbing my forehead.

Suddenly the room wasn't dark anymore. About time...

There I saw Jenna on the floor, laughing hysterically. "Headshot!"

I scoffed, pretending that she had just given me the worst insult.

Well, almost hitting my beautiful face is already an insult but...

"Okay, I think that's enough practice for today." She said, finally regaining her composure as she got up.

Ever since I lost a match against her two years ago, we both noticed that offense was her weak point and defense was mine.

So we started teaching each other so that it could benefit us one day.

And after the night Fumi-girl ganged up on her, we knew that we had to take this seriously.

"Was that really necessary?" I asked, picking up the tennis balls that were all over the floor.

"Yes." Jenna replied, "What if someone used smoke bombs and blurred your surroundings? How are you gonna manage the unexpected attacks?"