4 - After School?

1978
First Person POV

"I didn't know you'd be back in town Mason." I said to my brother because he'd normally be living in his college dorm.

"Who says I can't spend time with my favorite sister?" he says putting his arms out for a hug.

"Nothing, and..I'm your only sister." I say hugging him and awkwardly patting him on the back.

"I just came to stay for a month or so, and don't worry, Mom and Dad are fine with it."

"Oh, you know where they are by any chance?" I didn't wanna ask him why he'd be staying for so long, maybe it wasn't right to ask at this time.

"Here honey!" my mom says putting a hand up, sitting on the couch.

"Where's Dad?"

"In the yard, he's painting I believe."

My father took up painting after he had my brother and I and always made these amazing portraits and views that I absolutely love.

I nod in response and sit on the couch with her.

"Who was that guy you were walking with?" my brother asks.

"Robin? Don't you remember Robin? And I wasn't only with him, I was hanging out with other friends." I answer defensively.

"And who are these other friends?" my dad joins in with my brother.

"Leave the girl alone, are you this protective because you two didn't have friends when you were her age or?" my mom said to both of them and I laugh.

My dad playfully rolls his eyes with a smile.

"Since you're staying for so long, where will you actually sleep?" I ask turning to my brother.

"In the dusty old attic, and I know what you're thinking. I'm not staying over because something bad happened back at my dorm, it's just that I wanted to come over early for Thanksgiving." I raise an eyebrow get up from the couch and sit at the dining table to talk to my dad.

"Dad, do you have a bat I could use for you know, baseball?" I say then take a sip out of my slushie.

"Of course, what's the sudden interest in playing baseball though?"

"It's just that I'm supposed to help this boy practice his baseball skills and stuff for tryouts." I explain.

"Robin? I didn't know he played baseball, since when?" my dad said.

"Not Robin, Finney like you know, Gwen's brother?"

"Yeah, come with me and I'll get you the bat."

We walk to the attic and I see many different types of baseball bats and MVP ribbons and trophies covered in dust.

"Take your pick." he says with a proud smile. I'm surprised he isn't bitter about his baseball career, but I guess that just means he loves us a lot.

I observe all of the bats with a visible look of awe displayed and I choose this wood bat which was shiny and sleek, his initials carved in.