Sesquipedalian: A Royal Blood - Chapter IV

04 | A Royal Mistake

THE sky was painted in a satisfying hue of orange and bright blue, paired with the golden rays of the sun emerging from its hiding place. The early birds chirped, the horses neighing as the stable boys came to pick-up whatever excrement's that was left the night prior.

The morning sun beams peeked through the clouds, and the gentle lullaby of mother natures natural breeze prevailed. Golden light flooded everywhere, covering both natural and man-made creations in its embrace, including the beautiful Palace that stretched across the land. Filled with beauty and magic, filled with the promise of a new beginning.

Though, the panicking voices inside was anything by joyous.

''Wait,'' Rosemary backtracked, sticking another pin through the colorful fabric, that'd soon craft into a beautiful dress. Katamina winced, reminding her, her skin wasn't durable.

'' -- you're telling me you're apart of a season, competing for the love of a Duke, and you offended his family, and Her Majesty, in the same day by.... dancing with his brother at the ceremony?''

''I didn't know that was a wrong thing to do. He asked me!'' She defensively butted in, holding the cloth tightly to her chest until the seamstress secured it.

''I need more thread, Alice.''

The older's younger sister rolled her eyes, ''Which color do you desire, master?''

Rosemary squinted, ''Hm... Green, no. Yellow.'' She finalized. ''And don't call me that.'' She looked back to Katamina. ''Back to you. You could've politely declined,''

''I didn't know I could do that! I thought it was considered rude!''

'' -- and besides, that could've been a test to prove your loyalty to the Duke, and if it was, you failed.''

''First day here, and you're already getting yourself sent home.'' Antoinette laughed haughtily, as she looked herself over in the mirror. ''Though you never had much of a chance to begin with.''

Katamina looked at her through narrowed eyes. ''Hm, Is 'never' your policy on deodorant too?''

''You little -- ''

A knock to the door interrupted them of their banter.

Lilia pulled it open.

It was Leopold, dressed in a formal suit and tie, and a pair of thin eyeglasses. Those were new.

''Sorry... Leopold, is it? Something wrong?''

''Quite the opposite actually. His Grace, requests all your presences in the Dining hall for Lunch, and a proper cup of English Tea, if you'd like to join him.'' He shot Katamina a worried look over his glasses. ''Please tell me you're familiar with the proper eating and drinking etiquette.''