Sesquipedalian: A Royal Blood - Chapter XII

12 | A not so Royal Excursion Pt 2

''IF anyone is familiar with a traditional bow and arrow, please speak up now.''

A chorus of me's traveled through the group. Who didn't know what a bow and arrow was?

''Does anyone know how to shoot a bow?''

''I do, your grace!'' Antoinette exclaimed excitedly, shooting her hand up in a 'pick me' motion. Katamina wished Coco would just kick her off.

Of course Antoinette would be good at archery.

Rena raised her hand as well.

''Great,'' He said. ''Then you two don't need my help.''

He moved onto the next girls, much to Antoinette's sake, and she could only watch in disdain as he showed the other girls the right form.

''Leopold.''

The tired ginger came running, shooting a glance in the direction of the girls. ''Your Grace.''

''Fetch the bow and arrows please.''

When the man returned he was wielding an armful of wooden bows, handing one to each girl, before setting up the apple target course at the instruction of the duke.

''Perfect, now you should -- ''

Antoinette drew back her bow and let loose a feathered arrow, that landed exactly as intended. Straight through the middle of one of the apples.

''Impressive, but next time maybe wait until after he's finished speaking.'' Lillia snapped.

She simply rolled her eyes, lowering her bow.

How pompous.

''Pay attention,'' The duke said pointedly, adjusting Katamina's hold on her bow with a nudge. ''I'm only showing you once.''

Well, get on with it then!

Prince George gripped his lustrous longbow firmly in his left hand, holding it out in front of his stomach. With a skilled hand, he notched the arrow and drew the string back, his arms flexed and strained against the strength behind the longbow, forcing the arrow back to his face.

The bow string painfully digs into the skin of his index and middle finger.

His muscles bulge as his arms began to tremble from the tremendous pressure essential to hold the bow steady. Steady, steady.

And like a bullet, he releases the arrow with a loud snap! of the string. The arrow soars through the air at the speed of light, launching through the necessary tree branches, before plunging, and burying itself deep into the apple.

Wow

The ladies applauded.

The duke's brown eyes narrowed, as he gazed at his work, ''Now, lets see you do it.''

Katamina couldn't make a single shot.

The arrow bounced off the trunk for the second time, landing somewhere

''You're doing great, Ellis.'' Rena declared, hands around her mouth. Lips turned up in a condescending way. ''Next time just aim for the apple.''

How about I aim for you next time?

Her grip on the bow tightened,

She drew the string back, eyes narrowed in sworn concentration. The succulent apple sat perfectly on a branch, waiting to be hit.

A bit to the right.

Too much.

Left a little bit

Perfect.

She shut her left eye, the apple perfectly in sight.

And as she prepared to release the bowstring, and make the shot that seemed impossible, a stray arrow prodded Isabelle's hoof from the left, causing the mare to jump in startle, and send Katamina flying off.

She lost her grip on the string, The arrow releasing into the air anyways, directionless.

Her trip to the ground was short-lived, and time seemed to freeze as she waited for the impact of the ground below her, but instead felt the warmth.... of another body.

Oh?

She peeked an eye open, immediately getting lost in Prince Alexander's ocean blues.

He was truly beautiful.

''Falling for me already?''

Losing control of her mouth, and a sane sense of thinking, she replied a breathless. ''Couldn't help it.''

His lips lifted at that, and for a second she found her eyes unable to look away. ''Yeah?''

And despite the fact they were close in proximity, and didn't seem to make any efforts at all to release each other, nobody seemed to pay them any mind.

In fact, everybody seemed to be gathered around a certain tree.

Alex, dressed in a red tailored waistcoat, helped her back to her feet with a cheeky smile, keeping her hand closely clasped in his, letting go only as they joined the others by the tree.

''Ellis, come look!'' Lillia grinned. ''You made the shot!''

They all gazed at the battered apple.

Not only did Katamina accidentally make the shot in the apple, but she landed her arrow right in the middle of Antoinette's arrow, snapping it in half.

Prince George nodded slowly, looking somewhat impressed whilst still maintaining his signature serious expression. ''That's enough for today, everyone back to the stables.''