Bad Cows!

____________________

Colchis Bulls.

Bronze Bulls the size of elephants. Naturally they had to breathe fire, too. I mean being a bull made out of literal metal is just too easy to deal with.

As soon as we exited the taxi, the Gray Sisters peeled out, heading back to New York, where life was safer.

They didn't even wait for their extra three-drachma payment.

They just left us on the side of the road, Annabeth with nothing but her backpack and knife, Tyson and Percy still in their burned-up tie-dyed gym clothes, and me with nothing but a burning Mark on my arm just aching to fight those bulls.

"Oh, man," said Annabeth, looking at the battle raging on the hill.

What was most worrying weren't the bulls themselves though. Or the ten heroes in full battle armor who were getting their bronze-plated asses handed to them.

What worried me was that the three bulls were ranging all over the hill, even around the back side of the pine tree.

That shouldn't have been possible.

The camp's magic boundaries didn't allow monsters to cross past Thalia's tree. But here they were doing it anyway.

One of the heroes shouted, "Border patrol, to me!"

A girl's voice, gruff and familiar.

Border patrol? 

The camp didn't even have a border patrol.

What the fuck is going on?

"It's Clarisse," Annabeth said, "Come on, we have to help her."

Normally, rushing to Clarisse's aid would not have been high on my 'to do' list. She's kind of a raging bitch if you couldn't guess. She also happens to very much dislike me for killing her father.

Though actually now that I think about it, Ares should have reformed by now.

Clarisse's fellow warriors were scattering, running in panic as the bulls charged. The grass was burning in huge swathes around the pine tree. One hero screamed and waved his arms as he ran in circles, the horsehair plume on his helmet blazing like a fiery Mohawk.

Clarisse's own armor was charred.

She was fighting with a broken spear shaft, the other end embedded uselessly in the metal joint of one bull's shoulder.

I didn't even wait for the others before charging into the fray.

Clarisse yelled at her patrol, trying to get them into phalanx formation.

It was actually a good idea for once.

The few who were listening lined up shoulder-to-shoulder, locking their shields to form an ox-hide and bronze wall, their spears bristling over the top like porcupine quills. 

Unfortunately, Clarisse could only muster six campers.

The other four were still running around with their helmets on fire.

Annabeth ran up the hill toward them, trying to help. She taunted one of the bulls into chasing her, then turned invisible, completely confusing the monster.

The second bull charged Clarisse's line.

Percy ran up the hill towards them.

I ran and bashed into the side of the third and last bull, causing it to go scraping along the ground a few yards. It came to a stop and turned towards me.