Something about her

So, that's what we did. Zed went to football tryouts, I went to go audition for the play. But I just sat in the audience and watched. This year we were doing HSM.

The theatre teacher was looking for the perfect addition to be the lead of the play. James was already going to be Troy, they were looking for the perfect Gabriella.

But all other girls were terrible. They couldn't sing or dance or act. And it was revolting to watch them try and kiss him. I knew every line, step, and lyric to this thing, but I wasn't sure if I really wanted to try out.

Well James I think that's everyone. Wait Kayla, there's still one more. No one else is signed up James. Her. He points to me in the back. Oh? Oh! Who might you be dear?

It's awfully dark, come up here. Do you act? I can try. Dance? A little bit. Can you sing? That's up to you. Why didn't you sign up? Ms..... Ruby, my name is Ruby ma'am.

And I hear the theatre people are tolerant of different but I'm not sure you'll want me. Nonsense. Get up here. I'm sure you'll do just fine.

Hand her a script James. What part are we reading? From the beginning first, right after Start of Something new. Then, I want you to sing the refrain of What I've Been Looking For the slowed down version the way it was meant to be written. And lastly do the dance to Breaking Free. Then I want you guys to kiss. I wanna see if there's any kind of chemistry. Ok, then I don't need that. I know every line, dance step and lyric.

I get up there as he holds a hand out for me to pull me up the rest of the way. OMG. She squeals looking up at me. You're.... I know I push a strand of fallen hair out of my face. A zombie, kind of. Why do they call you Ruby? My natural eye color is red. And it's my middle name actually but my step sister had a hard time saying my first name so that's what I go by.

I understand if you don't want me anymore. No, sorry you just surprised me. But I thought zombies we're allowed to leave the basement? No one told us that. I look to James.

He winks at me. I think you're perfect, Seabrook kids just wanna stick to the Status Quo but having our other lead be a zombie this really is the start of something new, and we will break free. We'll show them, we'll show them all. Go one Ruby audition for me. We do as we're told, until we get to the end and the bell rings. Saved by the bell.

Ruby?! Kayla and James call after me. Sign her up for callbacks I'd like to see more of her. Me too. At football tryouts Zed couldn't get on the team because he was a zombie and the coach said they'd look like a laughing stock but when we all met back up again Eliza thought he dogged a bullet and thought cheerleaders were monsters, that humans were bad enough but cheerleaders were the worst.

At Cheer tryouts James went to that because it was mandatory even if he was just a stand in. Hey Addi. He called to her. Hi James. Ready for tryouts? I sure am I've been waiting for this day to come. Whose this? This is my new friend Bree. How'd auditions go? Terrible except one, that new girl they call Ruby turns out they call her that because her real eye color is red.

Really? Addison wondered aloud. Did you hear that Bucky? Red eyes so what? Those zombies are all freaks and we need cheer now more than ever because of the change in our school. Come on even you have to admit that sounds kind of strange that something about her seems familiar. Bucky, I found evidence in the attic that I have a twin sister that I know nothing about. Mom told me to stay away from anyone with purple hair, red eyes and blue skin.

And she's adopted and goes by Ruby. If her first name is Farrah then she's my sister, and I wanna know why they would hide her from us, from me. I have the right to know. Well she's gonna be in the musical. Ms. Kayla wants to see her again at callbacks. I've heard enough of this. He stops them. Don't know don't care and you shouldn't be poking your nose around where it doesn't belong.

He scolds Addi. Everyone line up this is what you'll have to do. He goes through the whole thing and shows them. Show me what you got and cheer till it hurts.