Chapter 4: The Gentlemen of Hope

Namjoon's POV

"Hello!"

I saw a tiny crab on the way to work. I chased it as it quickly ran away. I looked at my watch. Hoseok won't be mad if I'm a few minutes late right? I only want to take a few photos of my friend. I took my phone out and clicked shots. I smiled while swiping through them. This place is heaven. I made the right decision to leave the city and move here. The air's fresh. There are lots and lots of plants and trees. There are numerous kinds of insects and bugs. There are crabs! And the people are very kind here. I sniffed the cold, musty after rain air while riding my bike.

I hopped off and walked my bike when I reached the entrance of the sprawling gardens of Hope's plants and flowers. The leaves and flowers looked especially bright because of the drops of moisture on their blades and petals. I stared down and examined my sneakers. It's all wet and muddy. I forgot to wear boots again.

Chicken ran past me. Why is it here again? We told him to cage Chicken in front of his house.

"Hyung, have you seen Chicken?"

There he is. Always running after it. We told him so many times that he should put it in a cage so it doesn't run off.

"It ran that way." I told Jungkook.

He beamed and his doe eyes lit. "Thank you, hyung."

I watched his back as he ran after Chicken. I've only been here for a month. But I already grew fond of that kid. He's adorable. He's twenty four but his innocence is that of an eight year old. He appreciates the littlest and the simplest things. He's soft and gentle. Pure and kindhearted.

He's been working at the shop for two years already but he said he has been living in this place since he can remember. For many years, it was just him and his grandma. I asked where his parents were but he said he has none. He said that he lived in an orphanage when he was young and grandma brought him home because she thought he is a good boy. He doesn't remember anything about his parents or anyone from his family but two years ago he met a handsome hyung. He had the broadest shoulder and the most beautiful face he has ever seen. Despite him weeping nonstop, the first time they met. Handsome hyung told him that he is his brother, his real brother, and he is sorry that he lost him and took too long to find him. This, I have to keep secret. For some reason, his brother forbade him from telling anyone about their relationship.

But he's telling me because he likes me. And he feels like I can be trusted. He feels the same for everybody though. I'm not judging Kook. It's not his fault but he's actually too trusting. Personally, I won't be too quick to believe anything. But based on his stories, the guy genuinely cares for him and he really doesn't have any reason to lie. He visits him once in a while. Not too frequent because of his work. He's uncertain about it though. He never prodded. He's already contented that he comes to visit him. Sometimes, he brings grandpa hyung with him. He's like an old man that's why he calls him grandpa hyung. He's the one who gave him Chicken, when it was still a chick. Grandpa hyung wanted to name it Chim but handsome hyung looked angry. He thought he didn't like the name so Jungkook just named it Chicken. His grandma went to heaven a year ago. He's been living alone in a trailer house by the dandelion field since. But he said he never felt alone because Hoseok is always there with him.

"You forgot to wear boots again?" Hoseok noticed my shoes before I even got in.

"Here." He offered me a slip on. "Remove your socks and dry your feet."

Hoseok is the owner of the shop I am working at. Another great guy. He's hardworking and energetic. He is sunshine personified. Always full of positivity. The kindest and most selfless I've met all my life. And I've only known him for a very short while. Around here, Hoseok is like the citizens' representative. The people come to him for any concern and he takes care of them. He doesn't mind giving them help, even when it's a financial one. Because I haven't been here for long, I'm not particularly sure if the shop's booming. There were a number of customers who come in but there weren't that many. However, Hoseok is not very concerned with sales. He's just happy caring for the plants. Like he does for people. I'm pretty sure he's loaded though because he gives money like it comes from a bottomless pocket. I never pried but I learned that his dad is filthy rich. He said he inherited a little when he died.