Chapter 10 - A kind heart...?

"No, Logan. You need not to."

"Your arm appears to be loose. I have a spanner for emergency cases."

"It does not take too much effort."

"I have yet to discuss something with him. I can take it to him."

"You look pale. Have you even eaten anything today?"

"It is private."

Roman couldn't tell whether it was because of the thickness of Claude's eyebrows or him giving up on playing pretend at a young age... but he simply couldn't put his finger on the advisor's expression it was a display of anger or disappointment or sadness or... something uncanny.

He grunted as he adjusted his cape with his right hand as his companion went away making Claude head in the opposite direction.

Maybe this Logan is friends with the Lord of Broodyland? He must be a master at communication then.

Roman put the guidebook into the armor's neck and with a newfound energy, he let his feet move forward. Unfortunately, he already had experience with getting caught red-handed, so he paid attention to his heavy outfit that was heavily unlikely not to let out a sound on a solid surface, thus aimed to walk on the carpet and keep at least ten meters between himself and the man in front of him.

After a few instances of opening and closing doors and even turning backs, Roman grabbed a handful of air when they finally reached the very first door he had seen on the day he arrived. Our man on the mission desperately wanted the hearing of the chambermaid right now as he got stuck behind the closed doors. Or even better! How desperately he wanted to summon himself into the throne room...!

For God's sake! He cursed in rage and hit the wall with his fist, taking a shaky inhale.

His last hope was that they will come closer to the door eventually. At least, another couple of armors guarded the door and Roman could take his own place by summoning one armor next to the door, where he took his current disguise from. He kept hoping and hoping as he leaned his head against the wall and took his place.

I promised not to cause disappointment. [...] And I will not.

] And I will not

- ♡ -

Logan kept examining his reflection in the substance of the strong black coffee he held in his hands. Endless thoughts scattered in his mind, filled with curiosity about his preexisting answers and the questions that were yet to be asked. As he shook the cup, his reflection was dissected and different kinds of people, bears and even owls appeared in the coffee surrounded by bubbles that burst the moment they reached the cup. Even if Logan knew it was him, even if he was more on the side of science and less on the side of art, this phenomenon was still fascinating.

"Logan?"

The addressed looked up with stars remaining in his eyes "Virgil."

"Can I help you? Again." Virgil asked as he adjusted his practicing sword in its case.