Chapter 3

Everything was not fine. Nothing was fine at all, in fact.

Barry groaned as he threw up once again into the toilet, his stomach clenching painfully. Coughing to clear his throat, he pushed some of the nausea and dizziness into the bond, trying to shove it onto his mate to deal with. Slowly, the nausea faded away and he was left gasping, surprised at the fact that it actually worked.

Then, barely a whisper, a voice instructed through the bond, "Breathe through it."

Following the instructions, Barry continued to breathe deeply through his nose before letting it out slowly through his mouth. The nausea continued to dissipate until it was gone completely and he stood slowly, afraid it would come back. When nothing happened, he happily trotted down the hall and into the small kitchenette of his single bedroom apartment.

After eating one of Cisco's special breakfast bars, he drank a couple of glasses of water, changed his clothes, and got ready for work before heading out the door.

Tentatively, he poked at the bond, hoping that some kind of response would be sent back. Nothing happened and he sighed, knowing that he probably wouldn't get another response anytime soon. Heading off to work, he was just walking into the lobby of the building when he noticed several officers, along with Joe, getting ready to head out.

"What's going on?" he asked Joe quietly.

"Shoot out going down. A man won't leave his house after he was evicted. The owner called the police. He's still there, shooting and making it really difficult. The Flash would be very useful."

Nodding, Barry headed right back out of the building and quickly changed into his costume before following the police cars to a small house.

"Shots fired!" an officer yelled as Barry arrived on the scene.

"Officer down! Officer down!"

Barry bit his lip, considering his options, before shooting up the porch and bursting into the house, looking around wildly. A woman sat cowering in the corner, a man holding a rifle.

"Hey! Don't you know it's not polite to shoot at officers," he called and the man jerked around wildly, his rifle trained at Barry now.

"Who are you? A joker or something?" the man asked gruffly, his alpha scent full of aggression.

"Come on, dude. I'm the Flash," Barry groaned as he gestured to the lightning bolt on his chest.

The man growled and shot at Barry wildly, missing him every time as he flashed around the room before placing himself between the man and the crying woman.

"Taking hostages? That's not very nice of you," he muttered and the man swung around, a cocky grin on his face.

"She's not a hostage. She's my wife."

Surprise spiked through him before pain, so wild and brutal, sprang through his leg. He fell to one knee with a cry, his gaze sweeping back to find the end of a knife embedded in his calf muscle, the other end sticking out with blood already dripping from its tip.

The woman stood up quickly and shuffled behind her husband, allowing him full access to the boy before him. The man aimed his rifle right at Barry and pulled the trigger, the bullets easily piercing skin now that he wasn't able to move as fast as before, burying themselves in his chest and rib cage. Barry fell to the floor hard, the pain of the bullets easily outdoing the pain of the knife.

"Stay outta my business, brat," the alpha spat before slamming the butt of the rifle into Barry's face, making everything seem like it was moving. Barry even swore he saw stars in his vision.