Chapter 8 - Back to LA

One funny side note - When Mitch is in the airport getting ready to go back to LA, he sees something walking around. One year I took a cruise that departed from San Juan. On the flight back from there I was just sitting there when all the sudden this particular creature was just roaming around willynilly, and so I had to incorporate it into this :) 

*****

"Mitchy, we need to leave now if you want to get to the airport on time!" His mom yelled from the base of the stairs.

"Be right there!" Mitch scrambled to finish the rest of his packing, using his body weight to push down on the suitcase in order to zip it up. "Come on, ugh. What the actual f-..." Murphy's law obviously states clothes double in size when you're leaving to go home as opposed to packing to go somewhere. He managed to finally get the case closed and drag it downstairs.

"Ready, mom," he said without stopping as he took the bag to the car, sweat beading on his brow. His phone chose to ding at that moment, and he took it out while he breathed heavily from the exertion. He smiled when he saw that Scott had sent a text.

Scott: Is LA ready for you?? Safe travels.

Mitch: I think it was born ready and thank you! Packing felt like it took ten years, hoping to not get to airport too late. With the way I drive though, it shouldn't be a problem

Scott: haha, just be careful

Mitch: Of course, I got this

He smiled and slid into the driver's side while his mom got in on the other side. They had light conversation for a few minutes before his mom turned to him. "Are you ok to be going back?" She patted his arm. He looked over and he softened at the look in her eyes, which radiated perpetual sadness. He knew there would be nothing to make things better for either of them, so he just squeezed her hand. He quelled the anxiety rising in his gut, tired of the fact that it had now become as familiar to him as breathing.

"I think so. I have to be. I just worry about you, mom... will you be ok with Jess and I not being there?" The chasm of losing Mike was wide and deep, and he hoped that she wouldn't fall into it. Losing a father and losing a husband was comparing apples to oranges. It is a loss on both sides, but he couldn't imagine what his mom must be going through. Mitch didn't know what it felt like to have what his parents had, he only observed and guessed at it. There is nothing wrong with me. His father's words echoed in the back of his mind, which he still didn't quite accept. There had to be if he was too afraid or hesitant to go further than overnight stays.

"Oh I'll be fine. I have the quilting group and book club to keep me busy. Just call whenever you can, ok?" He already heard the acute loneliness in her tone, and it made him feel bad that he had to leave.

"Of course, but I want you to call if you ever need to talk. If I'm not able to answer just leave a message and I'll call back when I can. Love you, mom."

Nel sniffled. "I love you too, Mitchy." She was the only person on the planet that could call him that and not make him feel feel like a 12-year-old.

***

Mitch took a selfie and sent it off to Scott with a text.

Mitch: I made it with enough time for Starbucks! I got a caramel macchiato in your honor, it's actually pretty good

Scott: haha, they really are. Think your mom will be ok?

Mitch: I hope so. I worry about her but she has a couple different hobbies to keep her busy. It's all the other times that make me nervous, but she knows she can call or even come and visit me if she wants.