Chapter 14 - Christmas

A bit of cheesiness but it's M&S's cheesiness... 

Mitch doesn't remember ever feeling so content with life. It was two weeks ago that he had admitted his feelings to Scott, and it wasn't a regret he would ever have to add to his conscience. He sat back in his chair behind his desk, arms folded with a smile on his face. It wasn't an appropriate response to what was going on around him, so he had received more than a couple odd looks. Two of his employees were sitting opposite him to go over the busy schedule for January, which was usually the case for a new year. It had been difficult for him to keep his emotions in check, but he felt like a teenager when he thought about Scott. They Facetimed almost every day but Mitch felt the emptiness of not having him close. When they went back to Scott's place that day they ate dinner and watched a movie. And made out. A lot. He smiled at the memory and his face flushed as he thought about how much of 'second base' they'd explored. He felt his phone vibrating in his pocket and knew it was Scott as they'd been texting most of the morning.

"... Anna's contract? We should get this done at least by the second week. Mitch? Um... Mitch!"

He jumped out of his daydream and focused on his two employees. "Uh.. sorry, I'm getting a headache... I didn't catch the first part, repeat please?"

The two people opposite him exchanged glances and he could tell they in no way believed him. He sighed and reached across his desk for the folder containing the contract for their newest client. "You should probably call her within the next couple of days to schedule a meeting for the first of January. Is this our proposal?" He opened the folder and perused the contents. "Have her do another demo, the more the merrier. We'll take care of getting her involved with a few of our artists and partners to expand her name, otherwise this looks pretty good. Let's make a plan for her before the meeting. Thanks, ladies."

After they were dismissed he took his phone out. Scott was off that day and was always able to text more. He smiled widely to his empty office as he quickly typed out a response to his message.

Scott: I just dropped by your mom's house for brunch, she's excited for you to come home for Christmas. And me too, I guess accompanied by a wink emoji

Mitch: I see where your priorities lie, don't play with my emotions like that. How was she was doing really?

Scott: She seemed in better spirits. She's hosting her book club tonight and I think she's happy to have company over. I offered to take her to the store to get snacks but she insisted on going herself.

Mitch: You're the best, thank you for checking on her. And have I mentioned you're the best?

Scott had been going over to check on his mom once a week without Mitch even asking, and his heart had flipped. They hadn't had the 'are we boyfriends' talk yet, but they might as well be by this point. He didn't like making assumptions, though, and Scott hadn't brought it up. That was another bag of coffee that he was worried about opening; their relationship had been going so well. He figured that their distance probably was a factor. It was something that had not been readdressed and they both knew the hindrance it presented. When it came down to it he had no idea how to make them work when there was no plan for the distant future. They both weren't so much in denial that something would have to give before they got more serious. The only thing he was sure of was that he wanted to get more serious than they were. What that looked like for them remained to be seen; he just knew that he'd feel an emptiness he didn't know he had if he'd never met Scott. He hadn't known what he had been missing and didn't know that this is what it was supposed to be like. The questions his dad had asked him not so long ago had not come from someone who was feeding him lines that Mitch didn't even consider at the time. Even if his dad had trusted the process of Mitch's decisions, he had not seen them himself. He felt as though his eyes were wide open now. He wished he'd listened more to his father's guidance, perhaps it would have saved himself and other's some heartache. Some things he just had to learn for himself, though.