Chapter 9 - Tears.

"You're kidding."

Zenitsu's mouth was hanging open as he stared at Tanjiro in utter shock.

"Just like that? She forgave you and agreed to try again...just like that?"

Well, that's a bit harsh. After all, it wasn't like I was completely ruthless during our breakup. A deep furrow marred Tanjiro's face, an expression that was more common since the war.

"Yes, just like that. I'll admit it was unexpected, but...Kanao's always been like that." The frown disappeared, replaced by a slowly growing smile. "Always full of surprises."

"And surprisingly forgiving," Zenitsu said, eyes narrowed.

Tanjiro inclined his head thoughtfully, only partially realising the implication of Zenitsu's words.

"What, you think...she has other motives?"

With a shrug, Zenitsu waved his hand in a dismissive sort of way.

"No, it's just...nevermind. I have a more pressing question for you," he said, eyes flickering down. "What are you going to do about your arm?"

Tanjiro's seat creaked violently as its occupant jolted. Shifting uncomfortably, he looked away from his blonde friend beside him. Black tiles met his gaze, the feet of all sorts of people shuffling across them. Closing his eyes and taking a deep breath in, Tanjiro repressed the shudder that had seized him.

"I...didn't think about that," he said, softly.

There came a snort behind him. His head whipped around, eyebrow raised, as he looked at Zenitsu. His friends mouth was curved in a smirk of amusement that made Tanjiro's blood boil a little.

"You...forgot?" Zenitsu rolled his eyes. "well, you've made an interesting situation for yourself."

"I know. What do I do? What of she sees me and..." Tanjiro bowed his head in shame, "thinks I'm some sort of...some sort of...monster?"

Blast it, why were tears in his eyes? Tanjiro never teared up. Tears were...weak. They weren't practical. Tears delayed response, and meant you were more exposed.

Blood. Sweat. Tears. Tanjiro was suddenly back to the war, dragging his comrade back to the trenches.

Legs shaking, aching, too weak to continue, Tanjiro dropped to the ground like a defeated insect.

Small. Insignificant.

"H...Help..." croaked the man beside him.

Blood seeped from the wounds in his side, chest and arms. It pooled around them in crimson stains upon the dirty wood floors of the trench. Tanjiro gripped the shoulders of his companion, a man he had only met a few minutes ago, as his blood mixed with the mud and toxic waste around them.

Tink. Thrum. Bang. Boom. Went the artillery overhead as the soldiers were rained with wave after wave of bullets and shells.

"Comrade," Tanjiro said, giving the shoulder a supporting squeeze. The unknown man looked up at him with dark brown eyes. In them, Tanjiro saw all the hope and light of a distant life far from the battlefield. The light was dimming. Disappearing.

The man reached up and feeble grasped Tanjiro's military uniform.

"Am I...going to die?" He asked, his voice barely loud enough to hear above the thundering din.

Tanjiro hesitated.

A normal man might say some ridiculous nonsense like: "oh no, youl be fine, friend." Or "we'll be alright."