Chapter 11

"Well, I am Winter," Winter said haughtily.

"Nephew of Queen Glacier," Qibli said at the same time with a straight face. Winter frowned at him.

"Don't you mock me," He glared at the Sandwing.

"I would never dream of that," He grinned.

"If you're the Head of School, are you the one to talk to about having a private cave?" Winter asked Tsunami.

"Why, yes," She replied. "The answer's no."

"See? I'm your destiny," Qibli shrugged innocently. Moon smothered a giggle, and he smiled at her. 

"Well, it's your turn." Tsunami nodded at Mirage.

"Oh, right." She sighed. "I'm Mirage, and I work a society by myself in the Scorpion Den."

"What society?" Kinkajou asked. The hybrid groaned inwardly. She knew she had to answer sooner than later.

"Fine," She scowled. "I'm an assassin."

Tsunami's face was priceless.

"I only kill if I'm paid," Mirage shrugged. "No need to worry. I know you." She told a startled Carnelian. "You told me to murder Queen Scarlet's son, Hawk. And I did. Guess what? Queen Scarlet told me to kill you. You're lucky it was a resting day for me and I don't really like Scarlet a lot."

Carnelian blinked, then huffed out a breath, half relieved, half unsettled. 

"Oh, no wonder you're familiar." Qibli told Mirage. "I saw my brother hire you once. He said you did a real good job."

"No you didn't," She snapped. "Sirocco did hire me, but I never tell my payers if I succeed or not. Though I do. They have no need to worry."

"But I might be familiar," She said after a pause. "I target my victims in the Scorpion Den. The other day I went to Queen Thorn's palace to find Six-claws. He told me my target, I got them."

Everyone inched away from her slightly, even Tsunami. Mirage sighed.

"I would probably say no to whoever told me to murder a student, probably by killing them," She observed. "But I just might say yes if you keep doing that. Stop that," She snapped as Winter breathed in a breath of frostbreath. 

Mirage rolled her eyes, settling her wings back, trying not to turn red, not turning red, definitely not turning red.

She should tell them.

No, she shouldn't.

She would.

She would tell Tsunami that Scarlet was hiring her to kill everyone in Jade Mountain.