Chapter 29

Break From Everything

SPLIT-SECOND DECISIONS were always something I was perfect at doing, like knowing exactly when to swerve to get an enemy off my trail—or packing up my bags to head back to France. It wasn't because of the reason that had come up, I swore to keep our relationship healthy this time. That meant good communication, so I sat here waiting for Roman to return. 

One of my warehouses in France was blown up, by who? We don't know. So that means I have to go back and investigate. So I packed up my suitcases and scheduled a flight as soon as possible. 

Brendan sat next to me bingeing Forensic Files episodes, "Are you sure you don't want me here? I can just supervise..." 

"I'm positive, this is an issue between us both. I couldn't possibly bring you into our drama" I smiled as I looked at the clock. It was almost midnight and he still hadn't gotten home. He's usually home by the time we put the kids down. 

Gosh, I sound like such a wife     

"How about I go to France with you!" He excitedly suggested but was immediately met with a frown from Taylor next to him. 

"What about me? You know I can't leave" Brendan turned to him and sighed. 

"Right..." He nodded silently. 

"I'll be alright, Nayomi is coming with me" 

"Yeah, and how is Alex feeling about that?" 

"He's got attachment issues but given what he's been through I'm not surprised" I stood and took my ankle boots off the shoe rack. I was getting tired of waiting. 

"At the end of the day he knows it's her job and he has no choice but to let her go" Brendan nodded silently agreeing

The door creaked open as it was pushed open slowly, he should know better. No one in this house sleeps so it was no use trying to be silent. I got up and walked to the doorframe standing against it. 

He kept on with the slow movements trying not to make any noise in the hallway's darkness. 

"All those damn watches and you still can't look at the time" I spoke as he turned around to meet my eyes. 

"Fuck! Don't do that, you almost gave me a heart attack" He chuckled but it turned into a frown as he saw my serious face. 

"What happened, amor?" He walked forward as I completely melted in his arms. He was my weakness I could never be away from him no matter how much he hurt me. 

"I have to go back to France" I bluntly said. He pulled away from me enough to look at my face. 

"Why? Is there something wrong?" I nodded.