part 2

My job was probably the easiest but I was still the last to get back. Finding the prince was easy, he was at the palmwine stand drinking himself to stupor but dragging him to the shrine was another task entirely. But I eventually managed it by bribing him with 2 gourds of palmwine if he came with me.
It was then that the priest explained his revelations to us.
"The Oracle has spoken. They have granted Prince Aderemi the chance to perform the sacrifice", he said. At that we all heaved a huge sigh of relief, "but he would not survive because although he owns the throne, he does not wear it. To increase his chance of survival, they have given to him a key but in the form of a lady who has found favour amidst the creatures of the forest. We have to find her. The gates are found in two places, the river and the roots of a tree. We do not know which tree but it is safer than the gate in the river. Search for any tree that looks out of place or feels spiritual and check the roots. I will provide the concoction that will be given to the guardian and then we hope that it is accepted by this guardian of the gate. What happens after, I do not know for only the one who has gone there can tell. The rest of the town shall gather in the town square and we shall dance around the statue of sango, sing aloud to the stump of Ogun and drum to the stone that houses Obatala all while undergoing a dry fast. From the moment they enter the forest, we cannot eat food that has salt, pepper and palm oil and until they return we cannot stop. Anyone who does not adhere shall face whatever consequences his action brings." He paused and looked at us one by one, "Now who knows where we can find this daughter of the forest".