Chapter 2

Chapter 2
That morning was the last peace we had in the town. My siblings did not come home with good news that evening, but rather a devastating one. The cassava farm was rotting from the inside out and there was no known remedy as nobody could point out the cause.
One of our neighbours was attacked by a wild cat on the farm when he excused himself to ease himself. He did not make it. It was later we were told that it was Akanji, the young man my stepmother wanted me to meet. His death shook me.
I could not sleep that night, I don't think anyone could.
As soon as my father came home, we all stood up to meet him with hope that he will bring good news alas the cade was the opposite. They were not granted audience with the king.
The death toll increased from only Akanji the previous day to ten other people. Eight of them were attacked by wild animals and the remaining two by a mysterious fever that refused to subside till the person died of inability to properly breathe.
It was on the third day that it really hit us. My youngest brother Oyetola started complaining of headaches when he woke up screaming from a nightmare. He saw the whole village on fire as people were ambushed and torn apart by animals and creatures of the forests. He said the stream was flowing blood and that the whole town was filled with decapitated bodies with not a single one whole.
About two hours later, he started running a fever. We rushed him to the chief priest with hope that he could help him. They relayed the nightmare to him and baba immediately consulted the oracle.
For the first time in my life, I saw Baba fayemi flinch. He looked downright terrified of what he saw, but he was quick to cover his emotions up when he addressed us:
"I have seen what your son has seen and it is what will become of Aberi should the sacrifice not be offered".
"Baba fayemi, you yourself know that the king has refused to do the needful. We have tried everything possible and last I heard, he has ordered that the palace gate be closed from all visitors including the chiefs. The Royal guards are patrolling the  palace grounds to ensure that this rule is enforced. Please help us talk to the oracle. We are desperate. Hell I'll go and perform the sacrifice myself if they'll allow."
"Don't even try that if you don't want your family to lose their lives. The lands of the gods is not for an ordinary man such as you. It is only the king that can step on it temporarily to perform the sacrifice without any dire consequences. Even I cannot do it." He berated, "Very well, let me plead with the Gods again and see if they can find a solution for us. I have tried all week but it won't hurt to try once more."
He went ahead to check the oracle once more and like a man possessed he started speaking.

Find the one who owns the crown
The daughter of the forest is the key
Let the key direct for it knows best
The gate you'll find is behind the roots
Or perhaps you'll prefer to venture into sea
Speak to the guardian and offer it its due
If it is satisfied, entry will be granted
Into the world that is right beside you.

We all looked at him in confusion when he came to. But he did not offer us any explanation. He told my father to call the other chiefs for a solution has been offered by the Gods. He asked oyeyemi to go and procure some ingredients for him and he asked me to go and search for the prince and to bring him here. He told us to hurry as there was not time to waste. He told my stepmother to stay with Oyetola and give him lots and lots of water because he just might have a chance of survival.
At that we all rushed to do our respective errands because the gods know we would have done anything for my brother to live.