Chapter 41

Jane was immediately surrounded by more elderly gentlemen asking for the next dance after Charles left her. She was pleasantly amused because for once she was not the odd-one-out at a social gathering. She was actually popular at this party. Granted, these were not eligible bachelors, but at least she wasn't being ostracized for her dress or awkwardness. She would have dominated the social scene back in the Regency era! But then she noticed that Ann was also holding court with several gentlemen at one of the tables. These were all younger men, too. "There is no era that I could ever beat out a scantily clad woman for popularity. Semi-clothed ladies will always rule," Jane thought, disheartened.

Colin had been trying to stay behind the scenes as much as possible, mostly to avoid Ann, who tried very hard to lay claim on his attention but who finally got tired of fighting the tight circle of old family friends that he had surrounded himself with. Colin also wanted to avoid the gaggle of other women trying to get his notice. Maybe a few months ago he would have reveled in it, but now he only cared for the attention of one woman. Colin stole glances of Jane from afar. It was unfortunate that she had spent most of the party dancing with her elderly fans. Maybe it was just her doctor's nature as to why she didn't turn any of them away. That just endeared her to Colin even more if that were possible. He became concerned, however, when he saw Charles dancing with her. Charles was obviously up to something. Then, Colin became furious when he saw Charles handing Jane his card. He did not want her to become entangled in Charles's web of schemes, and he certainly didn't want her to become a target of his temper. Charles was very powerful in the medical circles around Boston. But now it seemed there was a more pressing concern. He saw Ernest, the Duke of Lampton, approaching Jane. Colin hated that they had to invite him. Ernie (a derogatory nickname that George came up with) was the kind of fellow that believed his wealth and status gave him the right to be annoying. He didn't feel it necessary to work on his social behavior because who would argue with his billions in lands, properties, and business holdings? But he was a distant relative whose family helped smooth the way for his father and Charles a long time ago, so it had to be done.

Jane was obviously uneasy as Ernie persisted in his request for a dance. Colin was about to step into action when he saw Charlotte pulling Lucas with her to the scene. It seemed that Charlotte was trying to save Jane. It looked like she was saying to Ernie that she would dance with him since Lucas wanted to dance with Jane, and since it was Lucas's wedding day, he should be able to do what he wanted. This seemed to satisfy Ernie, but Colin noticed that Jane was now distressed that Charlotte would have to dance with this fool. She insisted that she would dance with Ernie, but Charlotte would have none of this charity. In Charlotte's mind, there was no need for Jane to go through this mortification as she already knew how to handle Ernie. But in Jane's mind there was no need for Charlotte to take on more than her share of mortification. Colin decided to assist in the matter. He began to put his gloves on as he walked towards them.

"Please, please, ladies, there's no need to fight over me! There is more than enough of me to go around, ha ha ha," Ernie delighted in his delusion that he was a ladies' man.

Jane and Charlotte looked at each other with disgust, thinking, "How can this be happening to us?" Each just wanted to rescue the other.

"I believe this is my dance with Miss Charlotte, Ernest." Jane felt more than heard his voice.

"Well, I outrank you, Colin, so you can wait your turn," the Duke snidely remarked.

"Not in my house and not at my party," Colin said as he took Charlotte's hand and led her away.

Lucas finally caught on to what was happening and gave Ernie a warning glare when he tried to take Jane's hand. Then, Lucas led her away as well. "I'm sorry I didn't beat the pulp out of that prick, Dr. Bennett. You should have come to me sooner to deal with him."