Chapter 7 - Sidious

Author's Note: In which the Sith deal with Sidious. Also, yes, they had a reason to fear him, but also not, because Vader could easily have taken out Sidious on his own. The Sidious of their time was stronger, and they were all younger and less experienced and powerful then. :P

~ Amina Gila

It's been a couple months since everything happened, and if not for the rumors they're hearing from the Outer Rim – about a faction of people attacking the Hutts – Anakin could almost have forgotten the strange group of Sith.

Of course, there's also Obi-Wan. Now that they're back with the Jedi, he mostly acts exactly the way he always did. But sometimes, he notices the obvious indications that he's different. There's moments that he's... more caring, and other times when they're on the battlefield, and he'll see Obi-Wan do something especially violent that reminds him how, yes, he is a Sith now. Although maybe it's just that Anakin never paid much attention to his violent streak before.

But otherwise, he's still so Obi-Wan. Anakin has... gotten used to it. Sometimes he wishes things were the way they used to be, but he's come to accept it. He still could never blame Vader for what he did. He... must admit that he likes how Obi-Wan seems more openly affectionate than he used to be.

He banishes the thoughts from mind, though, as throws himself into battle, and for a moment, everything feels as it always did. He, Obi-Wan, and Luminara fight side by side, pressing their attack on the Geonosis factory, and he can only hope the droids are too distracted to find Ahsoka and Barriss inside.

"Ahsoka, do you have the bombs in place?" Anakin calls into his comm, above the constant blaster fire around him. The droids are closing, and they're running out of time.

"I'm sorry, Master," she replies, quietly, "We have the bombs in place, but we can't make it out."

No. Horror and denial crash through him, because this can't be happening. "Can't make it out?" he asks, panic rising inside of him, "Ahsoka, wait!"

She promptly cuts off the call.

"Ahsoka!" he calls again, desperately, but there's no reply.

No, no, no – She can't be about to –

He feels it when the ground suddenly trembles, and an explosion ripping outwards as the tower in front of them starts to collapse.

Debris fly everywhere, and instincts immediately kick in, as they all scramble for cover from the collapsing structure. He's on his feet again even before everything is starting to settle, running to the edge of the gaping crevice in the ground where everything fell. Where Ahsoka still is. Where – he can feel her in the Force, but he doesn't know if she's okay or even if she is, for how long.

"Ahsoka?" he tries calling into his comm, "Ahsoka, come in!" No response. Nothing moves in the debris down below either.

Panic and denial claw at him, this can't be the end. Obi-Wan approaches him, laying a hand on his shoulder. It does little to help, but at least it keeps him slightly grounded in the moment.

Luminara walks closer, kneeling at the edge of the slope. She could have lost her padawan too, after all. Or maybe she did, because Anakin doesn't have any way of knowing if Barriss is still alive, and neither of them are answering –

"Don't worry, Master Luminara," Anakin attempts to reassure.

"Be at ease, Skywalker," she replies.

What?! "At ease?" he echoes incredulously, "We need to act now. They may still be alive down there!"

"I already sense them drifting away," she insists, "There's not enough time."

What?! How is there not enough time to try and save the other's lives?! It's not as if they're risking a mission to save them, either.