Ch. 9 The Ball.

The two girls were sitting around the round table in Ms. Mckingsley's office, recalling what had happened.
Turned out that Ms. Mckingsley had witnessed almost all of Lilly's speech, and without the need of explaining. She had Nicole escorted to her office with her, after ordering Lilly to finish the day's activities.
After lunch, which Nicole hadn't had her share of it.
As soon as the day was over, which wasn't long after, because Ms. Mckingsley was forced to cut the scary story time, Lilly Also joined the pair in the principal's office.
"Care to explain, what, exactly, was going on?" She asked in an almost militaristic tone, and then continued threatening, "and you better put the entire story, no deleting a single scene."
Gulping, Nicole started talking, "after we were finished trick-or-treat, we saw the Francesca's pumpkin was more full than ours, which is unfair, seeing as we are smarter and prettier," she said offendedly. She had put an innocent facade on her face, playing the puppy dog eyes, in which she looked pathetic in it with her mature-teen looks.
She continued, "we thought, that Francesca doesn't deserve those Candies, and we thought that we have more right in them, do we were taking them." She said in a matter-of-fact tone.
All of a sudden, Ms. Mckingsley slammed her hand on the table, startling both the girl, "you think this, is the right thing? Taking what is not yours?" She said with rage boiling in her veins, her face was red, and you could see the veins of her neck popping out.
"In this school," continued Ms. Mckingsley calming herself a little as she retreated back to sit straight in her seat, "we teach you to be ladies. And Ladies, don't steal. Ladies, have the perfect attitude. Ladies, are the kids' role models. Ladies, don't force things. Ladies negotiate, they don't take others' rights, in fact, they defend them." By the end of talking, she had calmed down. She had finally let Nicole leave after saying, "I don't want you back Here, ever. We have one of the great expectations from you, don't turn them down." And with that, Nicole scurried out with teary eyes.
As soon as the door was slammed shut, Ms. Mckingsley turned her gaze to Lilly, who immediately stiffened at the frown, and then let out a breath she didn't notice was holding when Ms. Mckingsley smiled at her.
"I'm so proud, and disappointed in you." Ms. Mckingsley said, causing Lilly to be confused.
"How come, miss?" Lilly asked.
Ms. Mckingsley chuckled then said, "I'm disappointed that you weren't going to report Nicole." She said.
Feeling the need to defend her opinion, Lilly argued back, "if I may, miss, I believe that everyone should have a chance to better themselves, alone. I believe it's the only perfect therapy for anyone. And that's why I wanted to give Nicole a chance, even with the consequences of her not learning her lesson, I always hope for the better." She said defensively at first, and ending with a smile on her small light-pink lips.
Startling, Ms. Mckingsley say, "and that's why I'm proud, very proud of you."
Lilly stared at her teacher mouth agape, she had no idea what to say, nor she understood what Ms. Mckingsley was proud of.
Understanding the questioning look, she explained, "I'm proud that you did what you think was right. I'm proud that you gave her a chance, even when doubting her. I'm proud of the way you gave her that lesson back. Even more than you think." She said.
But then a grim look was plastered on Ms. Mckingsley's face, "I hope you don't do that again behind my back. Next time, inform me of what happens at my school. Okay?" She said and asked.
"Okay." Was Lilly's reply.
"You're dismissed." Said Ms. Mckingsley leaving her chair, holding her cup of tea, and headed to the window, and Lilly left.

-------

A few weeks had passed, and it was November. The cold was itching in the school, and the girls were lucky for all the fireplaces scattered all around.
Ms. Mckingsley was in her office one afternoon, reading the mail before handing it to the girls, when her hands landed on an envelope that was shut delicately, and was decorated on the tips. She knew it could not be to any of the girls, so she didn't hesitant to open it delicately.
She scanned the letter four times, with her jaw dropped and eyes at the size of her cup of tea she was sipping.
"She was actually invited!" She whispered calmly, a grin growing on her face.