Chapter 13

Slatepaw stomped away from the border, lashing his tail. The encounter he had with Blossompaw left him with a burning anger in deep in his chest. "The audacity of SunClan cats." Slatepaw huffed. He began tracking down the prey he had caught. She can barely hunt properly and she has the gall to insult me for not being a warrior? It's not my fault that I'm not a warrior. He lashed his tail again, he had to make sure his anger subsided before returning to camp or Leafdawn would give him attitude.

He thought more about the contest they planned, he got a sense of satisfaction knowing very well that he would beat her, he would easily beat her in a hunting contest and he would use that to make sure she never forget that he was better, that he was the best apprentice in the entire forest. His whole body buzzed with anticipation at the thought of finally getting to prove his skills. He knew he didn't even need to prepare for this contest, judging from her hunting skills he knew that he would already beat her.

Feeling confident and excited, Slatepaw rounded up the rest of his prey, six pieces which was impressive for the current weather, and returned to the camp. Most of AshClan was either huddling in their dens, hiding from the cold or they were out hunting. Slatepaw silently scoffed. AshClan warriors shouldn't be afraid of some snow. It's not that cold. He flicked his tail and tucked his prey neatly into the temporary fresh-kill pile, a crack in the back stone walls of the camp.

As Slatepaw put his prey away, his ears twitched as they heard the voice of Riverstar from within her den. "What should I do about MoonClan?" Slatepaw pretended to keep organizing the fresh-kill pile so he could listen in. He knew that tensions were high in MoonClan and Riverstar had recently visited their camp, but no one would tell Slatepaw any details no matter how much he asked. This would be his chance.

"I'm not sure we should do anything right now, Riverstar." The next voice belonged to Stormheart. "MoonClan are a peaceful Clan, they won't attack unless we do and I don't think attacking them is the best idea right now. Leaf-bare has just begun, medicine cats will be busy with sickness they don't need to use herbs treating wounds."

Why is this cat deputy again? Slatepaw wondered with a irritated flick of his ear.

"I understand that, Stormheart, but AshClan doesn't stand for disrespect. That's how I was raised to be leader."

"That's how Goldenstar was leader. I never knew her but I've heard stories. There is peace during the clans, please consider this."

"I am, Stormheart." Riverstar sighed. "I'm conflicted, I don't want to start and unnecessary fight but it's clear that MoonClan has been acting more hostile lately, I've seen it at every gathering for the past three moons. I tried asking Blackstorm if Oneflight had been acting the same at the half-moons but he didn't seem interested in talking about it." Useless medicine cats as always.

"I do agree with that." Stormheart replied. "But I don't think it's worth risking a fight right now. If you wanna make a scene at the next gathering then I won't stop you, but I don't think we should fight right now and see how things develop. If we get the idea that MoonClan is going to attack us then we can take a stand, but let's be patient here."

Riverstar let out a sigh. "Alright, Stormheart. I'll hold off for now, thank you. This is why I made you deputy. I miss Ashblaze everyday but I know he would've already been preparing to fight." Slatepaw tensed at the mention of his father. Ashblaze was a better deputy than Stormheart could ever hope to be. He thought, feeling anger buzzing in his paws.

"Of course, Riverstar." Stormheart replied. "Ashblaze was a wonderful deputy, but I'm glad I could help." Slatepaw heard the shuffling of paws and he tried to scatter away from the den quick enough but as both of them stepped out, Riverstar spotted him while Stormheart walked away.