𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝑻𝒉𝒓𝒆𝒆

For a small moment, I indulge in his touch

For a small moment, I indulge in his touch. I tilt my head into his palm. I watch the shift in his gaze. His eyes trail from mine to where our skin touches. I can see in his eyes the internal conflict of this situation. The look flashes on his face before he blinks it away.

I step back from his touch. His hand lingers in the air for a moment before he drops it. I look away from him and lean against the railing. The city noises fill the silence between us. I watch the cars below us and try to breathe.

I struggle to find the right words and I know he's feeling the same because he's pacing the balcony. I've had six years to think about what I'd say to Eddie and now that he's standing before me the words are scattered within my mind with no beginning or end.

"How long have you been in New York?" Eddie asks, breaking the silence.

I look over at him. He is still pacing and avoiding eye contact.

"Four months." I breathe.

"Jesus Christ." He mutters. He rubs the back of his neck as he breathes.

I stand up straight and face him. I can feel the heat in his words. Is he mad? I didn't expect him to want to see me after how we ended things. He hung up and never spoke to me again. I mean, to be fair I wouldn't have wanted to speak to me either. And that's why I never reached out. I always thought in my mind that he hated me. The way acted like he didn't know me yesterday made it clear to me that I was dead to him. Now he is just confusing me.

"What?" I ask sharply.

He stops and looks at me. "Why didn't you come find me?" His eyes are dark as he leans his back against the railing, facing me.

I almost want to laugh, but I contain it. "Oh? I thought you forgot who I was. I mean, isn't that why you introduced yourself to me yesterday?"

He scoffs. "Oh, come on."

"Yeah, come on!" I roll my eyes. "Did your girlfriend get a kick out of me being starstruck by the famous Eddie Munson? I'm sure you two laughed about it later."

He cocks his head, looking at me. "That's bullshit. You know that. I would never make fun of you."

"Honestly, I don't know what you would do. It's been six years. I don't think I know you anymore." I cross my arms.

He stares at me for a moment. I can see his chest moving rapidly as his breathing increases. "What are you doing here, Madi?"

"You followed me out here. I should ask you that." I say. My heart is pounding and I can feel my palms starting to sweat.

"No. I'm asking what are you doing at this party?" He asks with a blank face.

"I came here with my date. I didn't know this event was for you or I wouldn't have come." I mutter.