Prologue

Giovanni and Addeline were startled when Benjamin burst through the door covered in blood.

"What happened? Are you okay?" Addeline asked, frantically.

"She's gone," he replied out of breath. "She took her. She has been working with the Gallentine's all this time and now they have Magnolia."

"Slow down and explain what happened." Giovanni's voice shook as he attempted to remain calm.

"We emerged in a field and I lost track of Magnolia. Then when I found her she was feeding heavily, terrorizing a family. Originally, I was able to suppress my urges, but the more I tried to stop her the more I needed to feed." He paused, then ran his hand through his hair. "For just a split second I gave in. When I stopped feeding Magnolia was nowhere to be found."

"That means that—" Addeline's eyes went wide with terror.

"Yeah, and that means that they will kill her to harness the sun. It also means they know without a doubt she is a flare and of her special abilities." Giovanni walked toward the window and placed his hands over his face. "The Gallentine's are declaring war."

The three of them looked at one another. Their eyes were wide with fear, knowing they had to do something to save her. They also knew it would be a guaranteed death sentence.