Chapter 3

The sun shone on the lands surrounding the capital of the Dragon Kingdom, as though to look down upon this piece of the world, a vast structure loomed high upon a hill.

It was built with huge logs that were nowhere to be found on the surrounding plains, with sturdy walls made of stone that seemed to deny passage to everything in its vicinity. It was ringed by shallow ditches that were nevertheless carefully excavated and filled with sharpened stakes. This was to ward against Beastmen.

On the other side of the ditch flew countless flags. Of these, the most numerous were the Dragon Kingdom's flags.

 Of these, the most numerous were the Dragon Kingdom's flags

That was only to be expected. After all, this building, this castrum, was the garrison base for the Dragon Kingdom defenders.

The Dragon kingdom didn't have an army that could repent the Beastmen's invasion, so they would usually call other countries to help them or hire adventures to serve as their military forces.

The garrison could house all of them, about 30,000 soldiers and adventures, which itself spoke volumes about the base's size. And this formidable castrum, as mighty as a fortress, was built on a piece of easily defended terrain.

It was built before the great river of Tua, which was 90 meters wide and 50 meters deep. Tua watered the lands surrounding the capital and its villages, but it also served as a natural defense for the city whenever there was an attack from the south.

These attacks would usually come from the Beastmen, but they all have been repeled by this base before Beastmen could even cross the river.

The reason behind it was simple.

The only way to cross Tua was to use the bridge constructed by the Dragon Kingdom, and the only way to do that was to pass the gates of the castrum that was built across the river.

The commander of the castrum could easily defend the bridge from an invading army of the Beastmen. That was because that despite their superior strength compared to humans, the Beastmen would be forced to form a line in order to attack the fortress. And when they did, they would be welcomed by the Garrison of this mighty fortress with a rain of arrows and boiling oil.

However, despite all of their tactical advantage, such countermeasures were nothing for some of the demihuman races that could fly in the sky or swim for a long period of time underwater.

For those reasons, even such a sturdy fortress was by no means a guarantee of absolute safety when one considered the many special abilities of demihumans.

The sun was shining in the sky, shading its radiance to the world beneath it.

Near one of the restrooms of the fortress, that housed part of the garrison stationed there, A powerful-looking man stood with one foot on the battlements, gathering his stuff for the trip that he had ahead of him.

He was a man who bulged with muscle.
His neck was stout, and his chest muscles were impressive enough that one could sense them even through his thick armor. His powerful arms protruded from his rolled-up sleeves. There was no better way to describe him than athletic, regardless of which part of him one looked at. His face was like a boulder, weathered by harsh conditions, and his calm and shaved face spoke of his calm and collected nature. His mighty body and his calm appearance ought to have matched each other, yet his eyes broke that trend. They were large and round, sharp like those of an eagle, and they felt almost comically out of place. But the most eye-catching feature about him was the adventure plate that hung around his neck. Said plate was made of mithril, which showed his position as a high-level adventurer and an important member of this garrison.