Gym

Steve

"Mr. Harrington?"

My head snaps up. "Uhh—yeah? Yes?"

Mrs. Walters peers down her nose at me. "You haven't turned the page in your book for the past half hour." Some dumb jock behind me snickers to the girl next to him.

"Well, ma'am, I dunno what to tell you. I'm dumb." I slam my book shut, ticked as hell.

"You are supposed to be done with your book by tomorrow. At least pretend to read, Mr. Harrington."

God, I hate this place.

~~~

"Hey, Harrington," Tommy says, ruffling my hair. "Heard you left the party early yesterday. Who's the lucky gal?"

I shove him away. "Leave my goddamn hair alone."

Tommy exchanges a surprised look with Randy. "Ooh, are you shy all the sudden? Not gonna tell us?"

Billy bursts in the room, making sudden eye contact with me, and then proceeds to avoid my gaze like his life depends on it.

"Hargrove, did ya hear? Little Stevie hooked up with some hot chick last night." Ugh, now this is just awkward.

Billy stiffens, but tries to act natural. He's not faking it very well. I guess he doesn't lie about his sex life often.

"I never said that, Tommy! God!" I kick his shin.

"Ooh! What's her name? Is she hot?"

I slam my locker shut. "Yeah, Tommy. She was a 6ft tall model with blonde hair and big fucking boobs. And her ass was so big, she couldn't sit down."

I leave the locker room, grab a basketball from off the gym floor, and start aggressively shooting hoops. I'm trying to let off steam, but I'm too angry to aim right. And now that I keep missing the basket, I'm just more pissed off.

Tommy joins me after a minute or two. "All good?"

"Yeah, I just... I'm sorry. I'm just confused right now."

"It's Wheeler, huh?"

I am extremely caught off guard. "Sorry, what?"

"Found out about your hook up last night?"

"No, I'm just..." Oh, wait. This is a great cover story. "Actually, yeah. She got super pissed."

"Mm." Tommy gives me a hard slap on the back. "Hey, maybe sometime you can introduce me to your model friend?"

"...What?"

"Y'know. The one you were talking about. Tall, big b—"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm sure you'd be a perfect match. Let's talk about it another time, okay? Not now?"

"Alright, everyone," Mr. Johnson claps, getting everyone's attention. "Two teams. Shirts versus skins. Let's play ball."

I follow Tommy off to one side. The other team starts taking off their shirts. Billy is on that team. Of course he chose the team where he gets to take off his shirt. God, he's ripped as hell. I remember those abs from this morning. If he wasn't such a hot head, I would be proud of myself for fucking him. He catches me staring. Damn it.

Mr. Johnson blows his whistle. Fuck.