Chapter 18: Dates, Justin Bieber, & Tantrums

Liam’s POV

“You about ready to go?” I asked, as I watched Anna scurry around her kitchen trying to find her purse. She didn’t even look like herself. She was wearing a dress, reaching her mid-thigh, and her hair was curled. Her black vans had been replaced with red heels, and her heavy eye make-up was down to a minimum of mascara and eyeliner. She looked beautiful, but I wondered why she changed her whole look for one night.

“Yeah, I’m ready.” she said as she finally spotted her purse on the table. She picked it up and threw her phone along with her wallet into it. I held out my hand, and she was hesitant but she placed hers in mine and we walked to my car.

“You look really nice Anna.”

“Thank you.” She replied shyly looking away, breaking our short gaze. I eased the car out of her driveway and drove straight into the traffic.

“So um, why the sudden change of heart?”

“What do you mean?” she asked in confusion.

“I mean, just last week you and your little group of friends hated me, now you like me?” I reminded her, wondering if she’d tell me the truth behind her feelings.

“Well the rest of them still hate you, don’t get too full of yourself,” she giggled. “But I never did. I only acted like I did because my friends don’t like you.”

“Okay, makes sense, but why all of a sudden do you not care what your friends think of this?” I continued to interrogate her.

“Well I was getting tired of having to keep up with them, and I thought if Esme could be friends with you, why can’t I?” she admitted reasonably.

“Well I’m glad you decided to change your mind.” I confessed, suddenly glad I decided to go through with this. “Okay, we’re here.”

I parked the car, turning it off and shoving the keys in my pocket. I got out and ran round the front of the car, opening the door for her as she stepped out. I entwined our hands, as I lead her into the restaurant.

Esme’s POV

“Dinner’s ready Holly, come eat.” I yelled into the living room as I set a pot of macaroni & cheese on the table. She ran right in the kitchen, taking a seat across from me. Poor little thing was probably starving. I put some macaroni in a bowl and handed it to her. She immediately began eating and I made a bowl for myself.

“So, how was school?” I quizzed, trying to break the silence.

“It was okay, but it was career day…and all the other kids’ mums and dads were there except for mine.” She informed me, her voice trailing off, refusing to meet my gaze. I know my mother is a surgeon, and they can’t exactly choose when they have free time, but when I was her age she did the same thing to me and I got made fun of for it.

“Sweetie, you know mum is busy at work, I’m sure she would have been there in a heartbeat if she had the day off.” I tried to comfort her the best I could, but I knew she was too young to understand fully.

“I know…” she replied with disappointment flooding her tone. I wanted to cheer her up, but I honestly didn’t know what to do.

“Hey, how about tomorrow, me and you go and check out those Justin Bieber concert tickets?” I suggested, thinking maybe she’d brighten up even a little bit.

“No! Liam is supposed to bring me! He promised!” she shouted, becoming defensive. I knew I probably wouldn’t be much fun to go with considering I’m not a fan of Justin, but I didn’t think she would refuse the offer.