Chapter 7

- Ana -

Was he? No. Ana trembled as she hovered over Christian and surveyed his immobilized body. Only minutes ago he was sleeping so peacefully next to her, and now he was...No!

Falling to her knees, her shaking hand touched him as if he were fragile. Not a single movement. Not a breath. Nothing.

For a man she barely knew, tears swelled in her eyes and a high pitched sob escaped her. The fright of seeing him like this disturbed and saddened her, but the reality of knowing if he really had checked out swallowed her whole. How could she survive in this place without someone, without him?

Alone. Ana felt her chest go tight and her breathing quicken. The immediate feeling of being trapped sent her spiraling through depression. Without a single soul to comfort or entertain her was asking for insanity to walk through open doors into her already panicked state. She wouldn't allow it though. She wouldn't let him leave her so easily.

The image of her dirty scrubs that she had worn upon her arrival in this strange place sparked an idea. Maybe even a bit of hope. Pressing her hands together on top of his chest, she began to push down in short, pulsating movements. She had to save him, or at least try.

"Come on." Ana gritted through her teeth. "Come on."

The urgency that coursed through her made her compress his chest faster, harder. But her hands grew tired and so did her muscles as the force behind each push began to fade. It was useless. He wasn't going to wake up. This was it. She was officially alone.

Ana fell back on her feet and sighed. Her wet hair soaked her shirt and the fresh tears that dropped from her eyes did the same to her cheeks. Emotionally charged, she sniffled and shed the free flowing waterworks that had presented itself so suddenly. Unsure whether she was crying because she had just witnessed death or the fact that she was utterly fucked in this mystery realm, she held nothing back.

With her head bowed, she stared down at her hands. What was going on? Why was any of this happening at all? This never ending game of questions had to stop, and now.

Her gaze shifted back to Christian, who appeared to be in a deep sleep, but she knew that was not the case. Now that it was confirmed that he was no longer with her, what would she do? Would she leave him like this? Would she move him? Where would she go...all alone?

And there they were. The questions flooded her mind again. Ana moaned in frustration and pounded his chest with her fist. "Wake up, damn it!" His body jolted from the impact of her fist hitting him. "You don't get the easy way out."

Hurling her fist at the center of his chest, she beat it again, and again, and again. A flame inside her lit. She couldn't give up that easily. Even if this was his fate and this was hers, she had to know that at least she tried as hard as she could.

After exerting her efforts, she slumped to the ground and laid her head on the cold floor next to his. She closed her eyes and proceeded to count to ten.

For ten seconds, she would let herself feel the excruciating pain of what surrounded her. Once her time was up then she would let it all go and move on. She had too. It was the only way to survive, if that's what she was doing.

One. Two. Three.

Anxiety, fright, grief swelled around her.

Four. Five. Six.

It weaved in and out of her bones, veins, and every inch of her soul.

Seven. Eight. Nine.

This was it. And then it would all have to disappear. But as she reached ten, her heart froze mid-thump as the alerting sound of gasping echoed next to her. Wide eyed and tensed, Ana watched as Christian jolted up and his chest puffed out. A case of violent coughs followed and he hunched his half risen from the dead body over in pain. What the hell had she just witnessed?