57 - making up

BRIAR SAT AT the harbor where Piper had sat, twirling her dagger in her hands.

She'd almost wished that she had driven her dagger in the table just to make a statement, but it was too late now. And she didn't want to look back.

She'd seen this in the dagger when she'd looked at it during late nights when she couldn't sleep. She'd seen this table, and she hadn't known that this was the place she'd visit. She cursed herself for not realizing sooner.

But if she could change this moment, she couldn't. Well, maybe she would use more swear words in her speech. Besides that? She wouldn't change a thing.

This was for you, Pipes, Briar thought, staring up at the sky. The only god that I worship.

Then, she heard footsteps, and a familiar dark-haired girl kneeling next to her. Well, maybe not the only god.

Briar was silent, staring at her knife and the way it glinted in the sunlight. Katoptris was a good knife, even with its history. Even with the visions she saw in it.

"Is that . . ." Reyna asked quietly, as if she was scared of angering Briar. She couldn't blame her. She totally was a loose cannon.

Briar hummed in agreement, throwing the knife in the air and catching the hilt. "It was just in a shed. It called to me. I guess I know why now. Helen was one of her favorites. She told me herself. The same day she lied about me being one of her favorite children."

"Bri . . ." Reyna started.

"I'm sorry," Briar blurted, forcing herself to look over at Reyna. "I said some really hurtful things the night we fought, and I shouldn't have. I shouldn't have let my anger fuel me there. You didn't deserve that. You were just trying to help and I . . . fucked it." Briar took a deep breath, staring at Reyna's eyes and admiring the little gold flecks in them, as if she was also made of gold at one point.

Those thoughts had to disappear. Briar looked away so she could focus on her apology. "I should've talked to you about all this, instead of taking it out on you. So . . . I'm sorry for giving you flashbacks to your past, Reyna. I'm sorry I was being an idiot. I'm sorry that I hurt you."

They sat in silence for a little bit. A million thoughts were running through Briar's mind — would Reyna accept the apology, or would she stand on the harbor and scream at Briar and break up with her? Also, this looked eerily similar to the memory that she'd seen just a few minutes ago.

"Look at me?" Reyna prompted, and flashbacks erupted behind Briar's eyes. She looked over at Reyna, and as soon as she felt lips on hers, she closed her eyes and savored the feeling.

"I forgive you," Reyna whispered as soon as she broke the kiss. Briar slowly opened her eyes to look at the girl in front of her. "I've had some time to think about it, and, well . . . I don't think I could live without you always by my side."

A hint of a smile grew on Briar's face. "Is that the only reason why you forgave me?"

"I missed you," Reyna leaned forward to kiss Briar's nose. "And your pretty smile and voice."

Briar smiled at her, and for a second she felt complete.

Then she heard loud footsteps behind her and turned to see Hazel and Annabeth running up to them.

"We got a problem," Annabeth pointed up. Briar looked up to see a flying chariot pulled by pegasi. Apparently Leo's diversion with Buford the end table hadn't worked — at least not for long.

Briar sighed, getting on her feet. "Fuck Leo's inventions," she muttered, righting her sunglasses on her face and reaching for Reyna's hand. "Especially that table. Run!"