Chapter 5

Camila

After her departure, I walked through the basement to see everything I could use to escape. A few pots of empty paints, that's all that lies on the floor near the door. I piss in one. No way I ask her if I can use her bathroom. She would like to see this monster. There is nothing in the corners, nothing behind the wine rack, but a pile of cardboard boxes so heavy that I can't take them out. I could probably break a bottle of wine and use it as a weapon but I believe her when she says she has a gun. No, the fight against it will not work. There is no other door in the basement. I don't know how I could escape. I'm starting to hyperventilate. I sit in the middle of the basement and squeeze my legs on my chest. Well, Camila, I say, there's nothing you can do now. But it seems that she's not going to kill you, not yet, anyway.

How can I convince her to let me go? It is impossible. I'm thinking of Dinah who works in the library. What will happen tomorrow morning? She will go to work and I won't be there. I'm never late. She will realize that something is wrong. But how will she know what happened? She can't. Terror seizes me again and I let myself be sobbed. Leave all this, Camila. Let yourself go. Cry and let yourself cry. Then I understand something. In any case, it's better than letting myself go completely into a panic attack. I have to sit for an hour before her return. Her long dark hair is wet and dripping, but she wears clothes. She brought a blanket. She puts the cover on the floor.

"I took care of your car." Tells her

I look at her, not knowing what she meant. She raises her hand and mimics how to drive a car on a cliff.

"Below, in the canyon. I'm sorry, but you won't use it anymore."

I breathe strongly. I saved for two years to buy this stupid car and despite the more urgent situation, it hurts me to think of my car destroyed by this maniac.

"My car..."

"I'm sorry, I really am. Same with your mobile phone. It would be stupid for me to keep them in the vicinity. And I'm not a stupid person." She looks at me as if she hopes that I agree. "Your wallet was there too. Karla, isn't it? I think I'll continue to call you kitten. Curiosity killed the cat, you know. "

"Please. please." I say it. I can hear my trembling voice no matter how I try to stabilize it. "Please, I wouldn't say anything if you let me go."

"You see, now it would be stupid." She says, the way in a neutral tone. She pulls the extra chair and sits on it, she puts the blanket on the side. "And what do I say about being stupid?"?

"You're not a stupid person." I am whispering.

"I'm not stupid." She said, nodding her head.

"What will you do with me?"

"For now? I'll keep you here."

I start crying. I don't want to, I don't want to drive her crazy, but I don't do anything against it.

"No." I say it. "Please. Please. I don't want to stay here."

She spreads her hands in front of her.

"There is nothing I can do."

"I'm going to flee." I say, not suffocating my sobs. "I'm going to escape and flee."

She frowns.

"Now that would be very stupid." She said, "Very stupid, indeed."

"I'm going to scream." I say it. The anger rises inside me and I can't help pouring it out, just as I can't refrain from crying.

"Then shout. Do you know how far we are from anyone here? Go ahead, try it. It won't work."