Chapter 11

Lauren

Why am I interested in her? It doesn't make sense. There is a spark of something inside her that pushes the shadow away. No other woman has ever managed to push it out. Not only did I not like the women I brought home. It was more than that. I hated them. Each of them. Money seeker. Idiot. She looked at me and saw what they wanted to see, and didn't look any further. I was their fantasy. Billionaires attracting them to bed, a lawyer whispering dreams of Paris in their ears, a young CEO who removes them from their unnecessarily boring lives. Maybe that's what attracted me to her. She seemed boring, a useless life and trying to escape without anyone to help. She took a look at this world and said... No. I admire that.

Some might say that suicide is for cowards. Let them dare to hold a razor up to their wrists and slice their own flesh. There are not many things that scare me. I put a knife in a man's heart. I saw the gushing of blood and moss coming out of the mouths of the dying on my table. And yet, the thought of killing myself terrifies me, sends a shiver to my hand through my arms. The shadow smiles at me. It knows that there is only one other thing that terrifies me, and that's what runs after the people to kill. I tighten the collar around her, caressing her collarbone and think she works very well. Handcuffing her has disappeared from her wrist, but this silver chain binds her even more closely to me. There are still secrets that she must reveal to me but I know I could make her confess soon. Then she will be mine, mine for good. Mine forever. Together.

"Come to the kitchen." I told her, slowly turning around her. "I have another gift for you."

Camila

After Lauren and I climbed the stairs, I wondered if she knew about the existence of the razor blade. It wouldn't have surprised her to know that she knew and that she was simply teasing me. How could I use it anyway? If I hold it badly, or not well enough, all I want to do is harm it. And she's angry. I don't want her to be angry with me. I saw what she's done against people who irritate her. Whether this true or not, whether she killed bad people, I think she can probably find an excuse to kill the girl who witnessed someone's murder. She leads me through the house. Every step I take is slow, savored. The light is bright, and even if it burns my eyes I can't get enough. I'm stuck here in the dark for too long. Maybe if I let her do what she wants from me, she will let me out. Maybe--

No. I wouldn't want to risk finding myself in a cage. I continue to the stairs, behind her. She drives me into the bathroom and I take my time. I put toothpaste on my finger and use it to brush my teeth. I'm not about to use a serial killer's toothbrush, no matter how much my breath smells. At the moment I was about to leave, she stopped me and passed in front of me. She sat on the edge of the bathtub and turned on the taps. Smoking water flows into the cream bathtub. I stand at the door and look at it.

"What are you doing?" Finally, I ask. Lauren raises her eyes, as if she were surprised that I was still there.

"You're going to take a bath." She said, "This is your second gift, kitten."

I almost melted from the inside. It's been more than a week since I washed.

"Thank you." I say it. She stayed, even when the bath was full she made no movement to leave.

"Are you going to stay and watch?" I ask while frowning.

"I'll help you." She said.

My breath is cut off and I cross my arms.

"I can take a bath myself."

"Are you going to clean yourself with two bandages on your hands?"

I look at the place where the bandages are dirty and start shooting at them. "Maybe."