Chapter 9

Camila

The hours mixed with each other. It's been two days since I was kidnapped. Two? Or three? I can feel the effects of my medications starting to decrease. Anxiety slips into my course. In the darkness of the basement my fingers contract when I snuggle up against the wall. I am completely blind, I could almost evoke the vision of the pill bottle in my mind. The feeling of twisting the plastic lid, these tiny pills that calms me down. I'm not calm here, I blow slowly, trying to prevent myself from having a panic attack. As much as most people are afraid of darkness, I don't particularly care about whether or not there is light. When I was a kid, I didn't have to have a night light. I loved making fortresses under my bed and hiding underneath.

Camila, you can keep calm. Inhale, exhale. The darkness is actually quite soothing. The door opens in a dry snap. I step back, my breath gets stuck in my throat. The anxiety I tried to avoid flooded my system, and my heart pumps more and more. My legs want to run but I don't have any places to go. Her silhouette filled the door and when she advanced, I saw that she had brought food. Bread, cheese and a packet of salami.

"Hello, Camila." She said.

"Is it the afternoon?" I can't tell the difference between dawn and dusk, trapped under her house with not even a window to see the outside. Why did I try to escape?? I could have had a window, at least I would have had light. Now I have nothing left.

"It's getting late." She said. "We are getting closer to your birthday. In fact, I thought we could make a deal."

"I have nothing to exchange." I say mechanically.

"You have a lot to exchange," she says. "Your obedience, to begin with. "That's what I want you to do."

"Why?"

"It would make me happy."

I look at her. If she's not joking, she was an idiot.

"Do you really think I care about making you happy?" I ask.

She bends her head.

"You are a strange creature, kitten." She said, "Let's try again."

She goes forward and drops the food on the blanket in front of me. The smell of the sausage floats in the dark room. It makes my mouth water. I approach her and she slaps my hand.

"Not yet, kitten." She said, "No, I didn't say you can eat. You have to obey, do you understand?"

I tremble, my nerves have pulled through me as I can't take my medication. Another game, that's what it was for her. Well, I wasn't going to play her game. No way.

"Can I eat?" I ask dryly. She's not going to hurt me..

"No." She said.

I lean against the wall, crossing my arms. Inhale, exhale. You can stand in front of her, Camila.

"Why do you come down here with food if not to feed me? Did you have enough exercise for the day?"

"Stupid fool."

"What would you say about going back to the kitchen and making a chocolate cake, so I can't eat that too? Your muscles will be grateful."

She frowns and starts taking the food back in her arms. My stomach growls, the pain pulls through my body. I stretch out my arm and touch her, it freezes.

"I'm sorry," I said softly. "It's my medication. I didn't take my medication. I'm getting nervous."

Under my fingers, I feel her muscles contract.

"Please. Please." I say, my stomach growling again, even stronger.

"Ask me to feed you." She said.

What? I click my eyes. What does she want? The smell of salami makes my stomach scold with disagreement, although my position in this game is lower. If all she wants is to feed me... It's weird, of course, but that's not what I thought she was going to ask me in exchange for food.