Chapter 17

Lauren

The next morning, I bring her breakfast to bed. Her eyes are puffy, she must not have slept well. Too bad.

"Why don't you untie me?" She asks, when I offer her a piece of cake.

"I have to leave." I say. "I can't leave you untied when I leave the house."

"Where are you going?" She doesn't eat, I'm a little irritated.

"Outside."

The shadow is back. She came back in the night, after so many days after leaving. I know I have to find another victim. Don't have to right away, but soon. There is this politician on whom I did research. A politician, the one who enjoys prostitutes and beats his wife. He also slept with his intern, a fourteen-year-old girl. She came to the building once while I was there, her hair ruffled, her red eyes lined with tears.

I was looking at him when he spoke to her in the parking lot, threatening her, trapping her against the hood of his Lexus. This thought makes me shiver with fear. Yes. It must be done. It leads the shadow far. An indulgence, to kill twice in a month, but I deserve it to face such a problem. That's all she is, my pet, a little hassle. I push the cookie into her mouth and she chews. Lamb's lettuce, chew and swallow.

"What did you dream of last night?" She asks.

Her shoulders are relaxed, even tied. Her lips are pink and tempting.

"I wasn't dreaming." I told her.

"You did. You spoke in your sleep."

"I don't remember."

"Were they nightmares?"

My eyes turn to her own. She thinks she's smart. And she's intelligent but not enough. I don't know what she heard last night. The cries of the man I killed in my dream? My mother's cries?

"No." I say it.

"What happened to your mother?"

It's an assumption, nothing more. I could say it. She pushes, trying to understand me. There is nothing to understand, kitten. Push too far and you will see the darkness. I throw the last piece of cake on the plate.

"Goodbye." I tell her and get up before I'm even more angry.

The shadow is already there, creeping around me, showing the way.

Camila

The hours go by. I struggle to undo the knots on my wrists, but not enough so that the rope is completely tight. Hunger makes my stomach scold. I should have eaten more for breakfast. What if she was serious? What if she leaves me to try to commit suicide? What should I do if I'm stuck here alone? Fear runs me away, and I have no way to silence it.

Normally, I should swallow a pill when I'm too anxious, but I don't have a pill here. I can't reach anything. The ropes are tight around my wrists and I start breathing hard. Calm down, Camila. Calm down. Don't panic. If you get angry-

The bottom door opens and I hear steps climbing the stairs. She whistles. Curiously, I am relieved. She opens the door of the room and jumps in.

"I'm coming to bring you good news." She said, jumping to my side and leaning over the bed.

She is, oh God, she loosens me. First my feet, then my wrists. I flip my wrist, to bring the circulation back into it. She whistles when she undoes the last knot. I've never seen her so... optimistic. I wonder what the news could be.

"Put on a dress for me, or for you, kitten. Do this for me today." She goes to the closet and throws away the remaining dresses she brought for me. "Whatever, whatever you want."