Chapter 9

Rebecca managed to escape any interrogation-related detentions, but her hand was never given the opportunity to fully heal as she was in two-to-three detentions every week for one infraction or another.

During the second round of interrogations, the morning after a particularly rough detention where her hand radiated pain, Rebecca knew she was going to have to use their emergency plan.

"Miss Potter, you really expect me to believe you aren't up to anything devious?  With your track record, that's quite the far-fetched story you've conconcted.  Or, did your brother come up with it like the others?"

Rebecca's mind screamed in panic, in anger.  But she wrangled herself into control and lilted her voice in mild-mannered confusion.  "Concocted?  I'm sorry, I don't think I've heard that word before...what does it mean exactly?"

Umbridge pursed her lips.  "To make up, just like you have the lies you're telling me."

"Oh, see now that makes a lot more sense."  Rebecca nodded thoughtfully.  "I thought you were talking about Fred and his-"

"That's enough!"  Umbridge interrupted, raising her hand to silence the girl.  "You are a nasty, foul girl."

"Me, professor?  I don't know what you're talking about.  I was only trying to-"

"Good afternoon to you."  Umbridge pointed at the door, commanding her to not say another word.  

Rebecca did as she was told until, at the door, she turned her head on a whim.  "Good afternoon to you too."

Fred laughed harder than he had in ages when she told him all that had happened during her questioning, and Rebecca thought that made it all the more worthwhile.

*******************************************

The days passed into weeks and winter embarked onto the castle with a strength unrivalled. The child sent the students into miserable moods more often than not, especially with the fifth years bogged down with extensive amounts of homework.

The war on Umbridge continued, Nigel taking charge of the younger years.  He had gone as far as to create a map of each Gryffindor hour with Umbridge to randomise who was to 'fall ill' so a pattern didn't arise.  Nigel had proven to be a formidable diplomat--prodigy level.  The Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw who had worked with him to organise their own houses had quickly become his friends.

"Now, Louis,"  The Hufflepuff boy in Nigel's year.  "Make sure they have the salve if they end up sentenced.  You hear me?  I've got extra, take this one."  NIgel slipped the tin into Louis' hand as the boys swapped backpacks.  Nigel's was full of prank-sweets for the week and Louis' was filled with goods the other Hufflepuffs had crafted in thanks.  There were scarves, gloves, hats, non-magical sweets given from their own students, as well as notes of thanks addressed to the Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes comment box.

Rebecca threw her arm around Nigel's shoulder as they crept back to the common room in the quiet after supper.  "You're out of salve, aren't you."  There was no question to be answered in her tone.

Nigel looked at her a moment before nodding dejectedly.  "I know.  But..."  His voice trailed away.

"What?"  Rebecca asked, smiling at him goofily to encourage him to speak.  

Nigel's voice couldn't seem to raise above a whisper, though he tried.  "You would have given it.  When I knew it's what you would have done, I knew I had to."

"Bloody hell."  Rebecca whispered, clutching at her heart.  "You've got to be careful saying things like that!"  She reached up and patted around her head, "Not sure how I fit such brilliance in me!"