History Lives

The next morning, I hurt like hell. The pain was even worse than the night before, waking up in the bathroom at the – wait, a bathroom?

                I sat up carefully, head pounding, and made my way to my bathroom. It was still dark, so I flipped on a light. I cringed when I saw my face, and the bruises that had manifested overnight. I shook my head, trying to stop the ringing in my ears. Realizing nothing could be done about it today; I quickly dressed and ate some toast, washing down some painkillers while I drank my tea.

                Heading to the university was the last thing I wanted to do today, but I had to go. Today was my first English Literature class, and considering that that was my major, I should probably attend at least the first class and get the reading list. So I finished my breakfast and put on the most extensive amount of make-up I've ever attempted to hide all of the bruises.

                Pushing all thoughts of the Museum and the night before out of my head, I packed up my shoulder bag and headed out, ready for anything the day had to bring.

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

                "...And that is how Shakespeare was inspired to write Macbeth."

                The boring teacher had just finished her boring lesson, the one that not even I could concentrate on. I had been idly playing with my pen for the last half-hour, unable to stop my mind wondering back to the night before. The Museum intrigued me, to say the least – and I had to find out how it worked. You see, that's the thing about being me, I need to know. So as the professor finished her lesson, I decided that that night, I would go back to the Museum of Natural History.

                Packing up the new textbook, I headed out of the school, eager to get home. As I headed off campus, James ran up to me.

                "Hey, Firea...I was wondering about something. Do you think that we could see each other sometime, perhaps for a movie?" He ducked his head, a slightly blush rising in his cheeks.

                I smiled at him, and got him to look at me. "I think that would be lovely, James. But I have to go right now...so I'll see you next class, okay?" I waved to him as I hurried away, almost running to my apartment.

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

                I had no idea when the Museum closed, but I decided to shower and head straight over. Figuring that Larry would be there someone, and noticing that there was only about an hour before closing, I began wandering around the Museum looking for Larry. I paused in the Hall of Miniatures, sitting on the bench to watch the frozen figurines fight their stunned battle.

                "I had a feeling you'd come back." Larry walked up, sitting down beside me. "So, you interested in history, then?"

                I sat back against the bench with him. "Yeah, you could say that. I'm thinking of doing a minor in History for my Arts degree. So I signed up for an Ancient Civilizations course, hoping that it would help me decide. I haven't figured it out yet, but I love the content."

                "Good, good. Well, I have a feeling you want to stick around after closing, right?" Larry stood, rubbing his hands together.