𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓣𝓱𝓻𝓮𝓮

Wind was rustling the fall leaves on yet another cloudy day in Hawkins. The days had become a lot colder and the skies were painted in a constant shade of light grey rather than blue. It rained a lot, making the people of Hawkins stay inside just as Steve and Eddie did. The two of them had spend the entire afternoon at Steve's house. Steve's parents were away on a business trip and wouldn't be home for a few more days Steve had believed. He wasn't really sure for how long they were gone this time. It wasn't a rare occasion for them to be gone for several weeks at a time.

Eddie was sitting on the sofa while Steve was laying stretched out on the sofa, his head on Eddie's lap. His face was turned up to look at Eddie, an affectionate smile on his lips, that was mirrored by Eddie. Eddie was mesmerized by the other guy. He could have spent hours just sitting there looking at Steve. When Steve closed his eyes Eddie thought about how peaceful the boy looked.

"That tickles", Steve giggled softly, keeping his eyes closed. Eddie had been trailing his fingers over his boyfriend's face. Caressing his chin gently. His other arm was laying on Steve's chest, Eddie could feel it move up and down as Steve breathed.

"I can stop", Eddie said, but Steve immediately shook his head. He liked the feeling of Eddie's touch on his skin.

"You can keep going." Eddie nodded, smiling to himself, as he kept on tracing Steve's facial features.

Sometimes Eddie felt like he was dreaming when he was with Steve. They had been dating for a few weeks now and it had been so good that it almost didn't seem real. As long as they were behind closed doors things were perfect. They could be who they are. Eddie could touch Steve and kiss him without worrying that anyone could see. Without worrying that anything bad would happen. He didn't even want to try to imagine what would happen if the wrong people found out. Thus far they still hadn't told anyone but Robin and Eddie's uncle Wayne about the relationship. It stayed a well kept secret to most.

"Do you sometimes wonder-", Eddie started but then he lost his train of thoughts and stopped. Steve who had kept his eyes closed up until that point opened them and looked up at Eddie through his long lashes.

"What is it?" Steve smiled softly at Eddie and grabbed onto Eddie's arm that had been draped over his chest the entire time. He moved his hand over Eddie's and linked their fingers.

"I was just- I was just thinking." Eddie stared off into the distance.

"About what?"

"What it would be like if we could walk out on the streets holding hands." Eddie's eyes darted back to Steve who had been watching him the entire time. Eddie gnawed on his lower lip.

It was something Eddie had imagined countless times. Other couples did it all the time. As long as it was a man and a woman holding hands no one questioned it. No one cared. No one looked at them with disgust. Why was it so different when two guys held hands and kissed? Why wasn't it accepted? It was such bullshit, Eddie thought. Such utter bullshit. He should be allowed to show who he loved without shame and worry and fear.

"That would be really nice", Steve said, a small smile on his lips at the thought of it.

"This place sucks. This town I mean. Do you think it would be different in a bigger city? Do you think people are different there?", Eddie wondered, he flicked his eyes back to Steve and started to absentmindedly play with Steve's hair, running his fingers through it.

Steve stayed quiet for a few moments, deep in his thoughts. Eddie felt so comfortable around the other guy. He had never felt this way with anyone else. He was sure that Steve is the love of his life. If it didn't work out with him, he'd never feel the same happiness with anyone else. Sometimes it worried him. The way he was so attached to Steve worried him. He still wasn't sure if Steve felt the same way about Eddie. Steve definitely cared about Eddie, he liked spending time with him, there was no doubt about it. But Eddie couldn't let go of that nagging thought in the back of his head that maybe one day it wouldn't be enough.