Chapter 3

Marlena's POV

Me and Jack and the rest of Newsies made our way to Mr. Weasles so we can start selling our papes.

"They jacked up the price! did ya hear that, Jack, Marlena, 10 cents a hundred! You know, Its bad enough that we gotta eat what we don't sell. Now they jacked up the price! Can you believe that?" Blink complained. Which led the other Newsies to start complain to.

"This will bust me, I'm barley making a living now" said Skittery.

"It don't make no sense, I mean like all the money Pultizer is making. Why would he gouge us?" Mush said

"Cause he's a tight-wad"  Race said.

"Pipe it down it's just a gag" Jack shouted, "So why the jack-up price Weasel?" Jack asked. I stood beside him.

"Why not" he said and stick his finger in his mouth and then pulled it out to check the wind "its a nice day" he said and smiled evily. "Why don't you ask Mr.Pulitzer?" He called out. I went and stood by Race.

"They can't do this to me Marlena"

"They can do any they want, it's their stinking paper" Race said.

************

We got to the discussion where we should go on strike.

"We get all the Newsies in New York together" Jack said

"Jack this isn't a joke, you saw what happened to those trolley workers" David said.

"Yeah, well that's another good idea, any Newsie don't join with us, then we bust there heads, like the trolley workers" he said we all started exiting the place. "Listen Dave's right, I mean, Pulitzer and Hearst and all them other rice fellas...I mean they own this city, so do we really think a bunch of street rats, like us can make any difference? I mean the choice has gotta be yours. Are we just gonna take what they give us? Or are we gonna strike?" Jack said proudly.

But the Newsies remained quiet.

"Strike!" I yelled, putting my hand on Jack's shoulder.

"Let's do it! Yeah!" The Newsies said and started chattering.

"Keep talkin, Jack tells us what to do" Boots said.

"Well youse tell us what do Marlena" Jack said.

I climbed onto the staue and looked at the Newsies. "Hey listen! Pulizer and Hearst have to respect the rights of the workin' boys of New York!" I yelled. They started cheering.

'Pulitzer and Hearst, they think we're nothin are we nothin?' I said.

'No!' The Newsies responded.

'Pulitzer and Hearst, they think they got us do they got us?' I sang

'No!' The Newsies sang.

'Were a union now, the newsboys union, we have to start acting like a union' David said

' Even though we ain't got hats or badges, were a union just by sayin so. And the world will know!' Jack sang

"What's to stop someone else from sellin' our papes?" Boots asked.

"Well, we'll talk to them wit'em" Jack said.

"Some of 'em don't hear so good" Race said.

"Well, then we'll soak 'em!" I said

"No we can't beat up kids in the streets, it'll give us a bad name" David said.

"Can't get any worse" Crutchy said.