Chapter 4

Marlena's POV

The next day, Dave, me, Jack and Boots were on our way to Brooklyn.

"I've never been to Brooklyn. Have you?" David asked.

"I spent a month there once" Boots replied.

"Watch this" Jack and Boots leaned over the bridge and yelled causing it to eacho.

"Well is this Spot Conlon really dangerous?" Davey asked. Boots and Jack started to laugh.

We get to harbor, sooner than I thought. There were newsies swimming and walkin around. Then a newsies came up from the side, all wet and tough looking, "going somewhere Kelly?" He asked, Jack pushed past him as we followed.

"Well, if it ain't Jack be nimble Jack be quick" someone said, I looked up and saw a boy who, I was guessing Spot Conlon.

"So you moved up in the world, Spot, Got a river view and everything" Jack said. Spot jumped down from his post and I could see what he looks like better. He had beautiful ice blue eyes and light brown hair, with a black pimp cane, which he probably stole, red suspenders and slingshot in his pocket. Then him and Jack did a spitshake.

"Hey, Boots, hows it rollin?" He asked putting the cane in his red suspenders. As Boots walks over to him.

"I got a couple of real good shooters here" Boots said and handed him a few rocks and took out his slinshot.

"Yeah" Spot said and took the rocks while loading his slingshot. "So, uh Jackie-boy, I've been hearing things from little birdies" he said and started to aim his slingshot.

"Yeah?" Jack said.

"Things from Harlem, Queens" Spot said and shot this slingshot and busted a glass bottle, Devey winced and I rolled my eyes, ugh Newsies. "All over, there chirping in my ear, Jackie-boy's Newsies is playing to go on Strike"

"Yeah, well, we are" Jack said.

"But we're not playing. We are going on Strike" David added.

"Oh, yeah? Yeah?" Spot said getting close to Davey."What is this Jackie-boy, some kind of walkin' mouth"

"Yeah, its a mouth- but a mouth with a brain and if you got half of one you'll listen to what he's got to say" Jack says.

Spot walked over and sat on some crates.

"Go on tell him, Dave" Jack said.

"Well, we started the strike, but, uh...we can't do it alone, so we've been talking to other Newsies all around the city" David explained, but got cut off

"Yeah, so they told me but what did they tell you?" Spot asked.

"They're waiting to see what Spot Conlon does, that you're the key, that Spot Conlon is the most respected and famous Newsies, in all of New York!" Dave said, and I saw Spot smirking. "And probably everywhere else and if Spot Conlon joins the strike, then they'll join, and we'll be unstoppable, so you gotta join us, because well, you gotta" Davey explained and I saw Spot smiling.

"Your right Jack" he tap his cane on the ground "but I got brains,too and more than just half or one. How do I know you punks won't run the first time some goon comes at ya with a club? How do I know you got what it takes to win?" Spot said pointing his cane at Davey.

This is getting annoying and I'm tired of being silent, I walked in front of David and pushed Spot's cane away "because were tellin ya Spot" I glared. He turned to me and walked towards me, examing me up and down. A smirk appeared on his face "who's dis pretty face?"

"I'm Marlena" I said "I'm Jack's sister, and if anyone with a brain would know your Spot Conlon"

"Guess my reputation precedes me" he smirked.

"Don't get a big head, Newsie, ya ain't special"

"You got guts, pretty face, I like that in a goil"

I softly grolwed at him and with a glare that could kill and spot smirked at me. They went back to the conservation "that ain't good enough, Jackie-boy, you gotta show me"

"Ya think were playin?" I asked

"I think ya gettin inta somethin' big, that youse have no idea about. I just want to see if ya for real. If ya are, then I might join ya cause"

"People who wait to join usually are the ones who get picked off first" I said.

Spot walked closer to me, his face inches away from mine as he spoke "I don't plan to get picked off of nothin', pretty face, I plan to protect myself" Spot said, I growled at him.

"Maybe ya should learn to protect someone else other than yourself, huh?" I smirked.

Then Spot smirked and bit his lip "ya gonna make me"

Jack then grabbed my arm, pulling me away from Spot "think about it, well be waitin"

We walked away back to Manhattan, I looked back and saw Spot, he was starin at me intensely, he wink at me. I turned around and acted like I didn't see that.