chapter one

"The walls we build around us to keep sadness out also keeps out the joy."
- Jim Rohn

When I saw Daniel, my mind immediately drifted to when we first met all over again. My mind does that every time I see him, or hear his name. Or whenever I think of him.
Daniel Bates is the father of my baby boy. He also holds the title of being my high school sweetheart, although we are no longer sweet on one another.

Daniel, being the high school's star shooter with his sugar brown skin, tall physique, muscular build, and his plump pink lips, he was that guy. The one every girl wanted to be with. The one every girl wanted to be up under during school and after (because of his athleticism and money, of course). But, unfortunately for those girls, Daniel was already taken. By the one and only, Melanie Peterson.

Me.

Daniel Bates and Melanie Peterson was the power couple of Pine Grass High School.

Jr. Prom King and Queen and Sr. Prom King and Queen.

We were the power couple up until he hit the big leagues. The second he got big, he changed. But, unfortunately for me, I was pregnant.

Daniel became this big pro shooter for the Chicago Bulls and I was I in the house with a brand new baby boy. Of course, Daniel wasn't there. He was there for the birth and maybe the first three months. But, with practices, drafts, etc. and all, he was out the door the second the baby could sit up on his own.

But, I'm thankful for Momma Bates and my parents.

And, I'm exceptionally blessed for my baby boy, Kevin. He's 8 now, and he's grown up to be a beautiful, bright young man. He took after his father a lot, so of course he's handsome. He's exceptional at school, and plans to be a shooter just like his father. He knows who his father is, he stays the weekends with him from time to time, and some holidays now that he's retired and all, but, he doesn't really know the history behind us. And, I plan on keeping it that way.

I snapped out of my thoughts when Daniel decided to sit down right in front of me instead of standing like he usually does.

"What do you want, Daniel?" I asked nonchalantly.

I hate to say it, but, I'm still very attracted to Daniel. I don't know what it is, but he still makes my skin tingle whenever he's around me. Like, whenever he gives me a brief hug or something, I get the tingles and I can't get rid of them. I'm glad to know he still has that affect on me, but, at the same time, I hate it.

"I came to ask you a question about Kevin," Daniel answered.

We looked at each other for a long time without speaking and I could tell what he was fixing to ask I wasn't going to be too happy about. But, being the loving person I am, I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

"What about Kevin?"

"Can he move in with me?"

I had looked away for a brief second before he spoke, but the second those words came out his mouth, my head snapped back to his face so fast.

"Excuse me, did I hear you correctly?" I asked.

Kevin has stayed summers with him before, so I'm sure he wouldn't mind moving in with him. But, that's my baby boy. He can't just take him from me like that.

"I asked if Kevin could move in with me?" Daniel repeated looking irritated.

"Um, where is this coming from? You've never asked me anything like this before."

"I mean, I missed majority of his life as a baby, so I wanted to make up for that. Those weekends and holidays aren't enough for us as father and son. I need days and weeks," Daniel explained.