chapter four

"It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are."
-E. E. Cummings

I was standing in my closet trying to find something to wear to work when Brianna and Drew both ran into my room giggling. They crashed onto my bed in a fit of giggles.

I looked back at them and scrunched up my face. Was Tea and I like that growing up?

It took them a good minute to calm down, and by then, I had chosen what I was going to wear. I chose a blue jean knee length skirt, a turquoise short sleeved shirt that was knotted at the bottom, and some nude heels. I threw some Carmax and my phone charger into a nude Sally clutch and walked into my bedroom.

"Damn, she fine," Drew and Brianna said at the same time. They burst into a fit of giggles.

"I still think y'all smoking on something," I said as I walked over to my nightstand to grab my phone.

"We not, Momma. But, you are fine, Mi'Lady," Drew said as she and Brianna followed me down the stairs.

"Ain't she fine, Tea?" Brianna asked Teagan as I entered the foyer to find my car keys.

"Damn, Mel. If I was a dude, I swear I'd be tappin' that right now," Teagan said as she hit my butt.

I swatted her away and laughed at them. "

They continued to play as I walked out the door. I strolled to my car and was on my way to work.

*

I walked into Empire Soul and strutted to a table in the back. I didn't feel like going to my office just yet, so I copped a squat at a back table and ordered me some food.

While I waited, I played Wipe Out on my phone. Then, I heard a familiar voice.

"Melanie Peterson..."

I looked up at the voice and blushed a little.

"Jacob Johnson," I said as he sat down.

"Ah. You did your homework just like a did mine. It took me an hour to figure out exactly who you were. How long did it take you, though?" Jacob asked leaning forward on his hands.

"Uh, not long. Maybe 10 minutes," I said cockily.

Truth is, it really did take me ten minutes. I knew he looked familiar, so all I did was look at some of the posters Kevin and Drew had hung up in there rooms and researched him.

Jacob Johnson was a 4 time MVP for the Denver Broncos. He had been playing free safety since he was 12, being MVP for his little league, Jr. High, and Sr. High teams. He was drafted right out of college, and already had four rings. He told one reporter that he planned on retiring at 28 and settling down. So far, he's 27 and a half. All he needs is the next six months and another season before he's done with professional football forever.

"Stop lying," Jacob said.

"No, I'm being serious. My kids adore you for some reason. They both have pictures of you up in their rooms, although for different reasons."

I expected him to automatically be thrown off by that kid comment, but he didn't seem phased. He just smiled and blushed a little.

"Thank you, thank you. I'd like to meet them someday, Ms. Peterson. Hopefully that'll be sometime soon," Jacob responded.

"What do you mean?" I asked sitting back in my side of the booth. My waiter was coming up the walkway with my food and I didn't want to be in the way.

"I mean, I'm taking you out. You've thought about, didn't know how to get in contact with me, so you couldn't tell me your answer. I'm taking you out tonight, and I'm not taking no for an answer," Jacob said standing up after the waiter left.