Chapter Five

Twenty-four hours later, we were finally pulling into Chesapeake. In the twelve years that I had been gone, it hadn't changed too much. Though driving along South Military Highway, I saw that the antique mall had disappeared. On the corner was now a CVS Pharmacy. More competition for the small family-owned Lawerence Pharmacy.

     Seeing the sun setting behind the city skyline made me miss the shades of pinks and purples being cast on the mountains and the valley below. Now, the shades of pinks and purples were cast on the concrete valley. Being back in the city was a culture shock. It was noisy with cars honking and sirens every five seconds. I was starting to hope that we wouldn't be here too long.

     I pulled in front of Corey to lead the way to the house that I grew up in. The crowded city was fading as we drove on. There weren't too many buildings along the way to the house. It felt like something was leading me home because I didn't get lost on the way.

    As we reached Douglas Road, the sounds of the city vanished and it was quiet. "What does the house look like?" Landon asked me as I turned onto Douglas Road.

    "It's an old Victorian-style house," I told him then I smiled. "You'll see in a moment."

     I knew our driveway was the fourth or so down, so I counted as I drove slowly. As I pulled into the driveway, I had forgotten how long it was. The remaining sunlight didn't touch the driveway. I shivered as I saw it was dark like nighttime. Landon asked another question, "Why is the driveway so long?"

    He stumped me with that question. "I have no idea," I replied with a laugh. "Maybe that is something you can look up."

    When the tree line broke, we saw the house with the sun setting behind it. "Oh wow," I heard both boys gasp out when they saw it. The Victorian house was three stories tall with a tower in the middle. It was tan colored with brick red trim and two separate porches. One wrapped around one side leading to the backyard. The house was like an island in a sea of trees. 

     As I slowly got out of the van, I noticed that it was eerily quiet. The house wasn't too far from The Great Dismal Swamp. There should be some type of animal roaming around. I didn't hear any type of animal sounds.

    "I thought you said that it would be warmer here," Corey teased me as he stood beside me.

     I glanced over at him as he laughed. "It's normally warmer at this time," I told him as I looked around.

    "Natara!" a familiar voice called out to me and I saw my dad walking down the stairs.

    Despite being tired from driving for so long, I took off on a run. My dad caught me and hugged me tightly. "Dad," I said holding back tears. "It feels good to be home."

    He held me at arm's length as he said, "I'm glad that you and my grandsons are home."

     Even though he had been in the United States for most of his life, he still had an Irish accent. I get my height from him, for he was about a few inches taller than me. He stood there looking at me like it was going to be the last time he would see me. "How are you doing dad?" I asked him as Dakota and Landon came up the stairs.

    "Better now that you guys are home," he looked over at Dakota and laughed. "Where did you get your height from?"

     Dakota was around four years old when I moved them out to Colorado. So, he didn't get to spend time with his grandpa. "Um, I guess I get it from my dad," he finally said and I chuckled at him.

     "You both look like your mother," my dad looked at Landon with a smile. "Especially you Landon."  Then he noticed Corey coming up with a small pet carrier. Mystic was starting to squawk in protest. My dad started to laugh as he said, "You must be Corey and that must be Mystic."