Chapter Four

Arm in arm with Jaheim, the hostess greets us with her million-dollar smile, takes our coats and leads us to the back where Jaheim's friend and his date are seated. An intimate setting is what it was, pristine too. Two small square tables were put together and Jaheim's friend and date were sitting on one side. I recognized his friend from Essence, Duane... I think.

"What's up, y'all?" Jaheim greeted us when we neared the table no smiled and waved at his friend and date. Jaheim opened the seat for me and sat down a beat later.

"What's good, brother?" His friend greeted and dapped Jaheim. His date on the other side smiled meekly. We locked eyes and mouthed a 'hi' to me.

"Sanna, this is Duane and his affianced, Alyssa." Jaheim introduced.

Duane stretched his hand over and across the table. "We met at Essence a few days ago." He explained and I nodded gratefully, shaking his hand. "Nice to see you again." Duane turned to Alyssa and his arm over her shoulder, "As Jah has introduced, this is my wife-to-be, Alyssa." They looked at each other in the eyes, so entranced in their love. Alyssa pecked Duane's nose, breaking apart from him.

"You look gorgeous, Sanna." Alyssa stretched her hand out.

I timidly murmured my gratitude for the compliment and quickly surveyed her outfit to look for something to compliment. My eyes landed on the pendant around her neck. "That necklace is to die for." "

Her hand flew to it," A gift from Duane." She leaned into her man's embrace.

Jaheim hauled over a waiter and ordered a round of drinks and appetizers. I glanced at Jaheim, acutely aware of his closeness, his lean athletic build was formidable. Close-cropped, curly black hair and a neatly trimmed moustache accentuated his sensual upper lip and emphasized the mystery in his eyes the colour of brown sherry whisky. Our eyes met. And that sharp awareness that had cut through my body like an electric shock when I had my arm around his.

A blush warmed my cheek and I looked away, feeling a little mortified that he'd caught me staring. Alyssa caught my attention from across the table and flipped her hair to the side. "So where'd you guys meet? How long have you two known each other?" She beamed.

"At The Boardwalk," Jaheim started, "I was helping Kyle out with his stall."

"That was on Tuesday, wasn't it?" Alyssa said and shared a look with Duane. The waiter came back and served us our drinks.

I picked up the glass and lifted it to my lips, "Yeah, not much room to really..."I trailed off. " How long have you guys been together?"

"Three years. Going strong." She chuckled. As the evening went on, I sussed out their relationship altogether and how close they were, and I got comfortable. Over the lush fluorescence and a hearty conversation over the table. Time and time again, I caught myself gravitating more and more towards Jaheim, my hand ended up curled around his once again while we ate. The undertones of his masculine scent totally unnerved me but the proximity of Jaheim's body to mine countered the initial effect. Close as we were, it somehow didn't feel close enough...

I lightly pinched Jaheim's arm and he turned to me. Thought this was maybe a good time because Alyssa and Duane were having their own conversation. "So, I never asked what you do for a living." I started, under my breath.

His brows pulled together for a split second and he placed the beer down on the table. "I'm an editor for a magazine called Seasons. It's a focused magazine, it's more about the art scene. Painting, photography, music, writing, just a lot of things." He spoke and I made a mental note of the way he spoke so passionately about his job. It put a smile on my face. It's been a while since someone ignited such rampant emotions in me. It gave me a warm feeling. Accompanied by the stimulating heat he came with.