Chapter 6: Human Nature

Quebec, Canada - 4:15 PM

The Sasquatch sprinted through the Quebec forests with no intention of slowing down. There was no knowing where exactly he was looking to go, or where he'd end up. What was certain, however, was that he wasn't going to back down and allow Department H to control his life.

Once Sasquatch barrelled through multiple trees, he reached a clearing. The open space allowed the gamma mutate to see the military helicopter in the distance that had begun to close in rapidly. On the inside, the pilot was awaiting orders from Director Hudson, with his finger on the trigger.

"We have Sasquatch in our sights, awaiting orders," the pilot said into a radio.

"Don't just sit there and watch him, open fire!" Hudson's voice came in through the radio.

"Understood," the pilot responded. He pressed down hard on the trigger—unleashing a barrage of bullets from the chopper's side-mounted guns.

The Sasquatch held his hand out to try and block the gunfire that was raining down upon him. His body was highly resistant to the bullets, but that didn't make them any less of an annoyance at that rapid rate. He looked to his left and grabbed a nearby tree to uproot from the ground. As the gunfire continued to rain down, the Sasquatch threw the tree like a lawn dart at the chopper. The tree skewered the chopper and would send it spiraling down to the ground.

Heavy smoke rose from its position in the distance. Sasquatch huffed and continued his path, heading off in the adjacent direction. After picking up another head of steam, the Sasquatch leaped high through the air to gain more distance. While in the air, his eyes caught the sight of another approaching attack helicopter. Being in the air, he was left wide open for no defense against what would come. The helicopter fired a missile that blasted Sasquatch in his side, sending him barreling down in an explosion.

Sasquatch landed hard into another clearing, creating a small crater under his weight and the velocity of the fall. The gamma mutated beast rolled onto his stomach, pressed his hands into the snowy ground, and pushed himself up to his feet. Surrounding him at every turn were military vehicles and armed soldiers with their weapons trained on the Sasquatch. Among them were Claire Hudson and Raze—the latter having his hands in his jacket pockets.

"Dr. Langkowski…I know you can hear me, I know you're in control. There's no version of this where it ends well for you, in fact, you've made it worse. So stand down," Claire demanded.

The red eyes of the Sasquatch narrowed on Claire. He clenched his fists and exhaled through his nose.

"No," he responded. His voice was no longer that of Flynn Langkowski, instead, it was deep, monstrous, and full of anger.

Claire sighed and glanced to Raze, who had a slightly impressed expression on his face.

"Standing his grown to the end like a man…monster…bigfoot thing. Admirable nonetheless," Raze remarked with a shrug of his shoulders.

"Open fire!" Claire commanded her troops.

The armed soldiers began firing at the Sasquatch relentlessly. The monster held his arm up as his only defense, growling. He took several steps back and roared at Claire directly. Despite the gunfire pelting him, his focus was on the woman behind all of it. Sasquatch let out another roar and ran full speed at Claire.

"Activate the sonic cannons!" Claire commanded quickly. She took a cautious step back as the Sasquatch approached, but it proved to be unnecessary. From atop 3 military trucks were mounted cannons that released powerful waves of sonic energy at Sasquatch.