chapter 8

The bed felt colder than usual as she opened her eyes. She should've stayed quiet about her past instead of telling him, things were now starting to look better and she just ruined it.

He was no where to be found at home. Vera took a deep breath to control her emotions once again. She forced herself to stay calm. She thought that he will need time to digest the information that she gave him. That's why he was so distant.

That's all it could be.

She had finally gotten out of bed, freshening up but had no breakfast. She was too anxious to eat anything. She paced around in their bedroom waiting for him to comeback and say something to her. Maybe he had decided that last night was a mistake and wasn't sure how to tell her.

She froze when she heard shuffling downstairs. Was he back?

The sound of footsteps stopped right outside the bedroom. The handle turned and he stepped in, stopping as soon as he saw her.

"Where did you go?" She blurted out.

"I needed... fresh air." He mumbled not looking at her face.

"Was it... are you... disgusted?" She asked quietly, clasping her fingers tightly to keep her fingers from shaking.

His mouth dropped open at her words and he stepped closer to her. "No." He breathed. He dropped on his knees in front of her, gazing up at him sadly. It was the first time he showed her his emotions so openly. He looked distraught.

"I couldn't sleep all night. All I could think about was our first time... I forced you to sleep with me. I was deciding about what to do. So I am here at your mercy Vera, if you want me arrested for what I did. I'll go and confess straight away. I'll leave you alone." He said sincerely, with sadness lacing his voice.

"Luka..." she whispered, holding back tears again.

"I don't... I know I could've stopped you. I know you would've stopped if I said no, but I didn't. I didn't stop you and I don't know why. So don't... please don't think like that-"

The sound of the doorbell ringing cut her off and she frowned, running down the stairs to check. She looked through the peephole and saw his mother standing there. Vera quickly straightened her clothes out and opened the door.

"Vera, it's lovely to see you again. How are you doing?" She asked with a smile, but something wasn't right.

"I'm fine, thank you. Please come sit. Do you want anything to drink?" She asked leading her to the living room. Just then Luka came downstairs, pausing when he saw his mother.

"Mother?" He questioned surprised. He looked at Vera and she shrugged.

His mother stood up angrily and walked over to him. "What have you done, Luka?"

He looked alarmed, gulping. "Nothing. What have I done?" He replied coldly.

"Is this how I raised you to be? You- You forced yourself on your wife?" She uttered those words with disbelief. 

He glanced at Vera, to see her shaking her head, telling him to deny it. Instead he looked down, confirming what she said.

Her Mother raised her hand as if to hit him, but stopped midair. "You're not even worth it, Luka. It's ironic that I kept you away from the very person you have become. Your father."

She watched him visibly flinch at her sharp words. He looked so upset and disappointed.

"I know she did nothing to annoy you.-"

"No! He didn't do anything." Vera said rushing over to them.

"Don't lie to me, Vera! It's about time he hears it. Your Father was like this too. He used to abuse me and hurt me. You haven't even met him, yet look at you. It's in your blood. I birthed you and nurtured you my whole life, but not once did you look up to me nor did you inherit any of my traits, you have proven that only your Father's blood runs through your veins, not mine."