Chapter 2: The Mother

Satine Kryze had woken up early that morning, before the sun had even thought to rise, with an undefinable urge to go looking for something important. Although she was not force sensitive, like the Jettis she'd spent an entire year with, she knew enough about the Force to recognize that it was everywhere. She knew that, oftentimes, it would talk to anyone who was willing to listen. For Satine, she knew that whatever Force existed in the universe, she had to listen to it.

So, she'd taken clothes that she hadn't worn in years, and she'd put them on. She was careful to cover her distinguishing light hair with a dark cloak. She dressed in the most non-descript clothes she owned, and she covered her distinguishing white-blonde hair with the hood of her dark cloak. Then, without even alerting her personal guards, she walked onto the streets of Sundari, having no idea that she was about to break a curse.

After about an hour of wandering, she found herself on the boarder of what locals called the High District and the Low District of Sundari. On that edge, stood a simple fountain and benches. Engraved in the sides of the fountain were images of Tarre Vizsla. He'd been one of the ancient leaders of Mandalore and the first Mandalorian who was ever accepted into the Jedi Order. Although he'd eventually left the Order, when he returned to Mandalore, he'd used skills he'd acquired as a Jetti to usher in an era of co-existing amongst Mandalorian clans. Satine, although she didn't approve of everything he did, admired him for doing that.

Confused at how she'd come to be where she was, Satine sat down on one of the stone benches that were on the edge of the fountain. She had no idea why she'd been lead here, but she felt in her gut that she must be in that spot. Settling in for the message of the universe, the ruler of Mandalore tilted her head back to look at the sky where the sun was just beginning to rise through the biodome.

Satine had only been sitting there for a moment when the reason she'd woken up that early appeared.

"You shouldn't be here," a small voice said from behind her, causing Duchess Satine to jump in her seat and twist around, hand on her comm device, only to face a little girl sitting by her side.

The child, initially concealed by a dark cloak, lowered her hood, and Satine Kryze was momentarily stunned. The girl was tiny, as if the gentlest of breezes would blow her over. Her skin was a pale and creamy ivory while her hair was a rich brown. It was likely long, although the child wore it pulled back in a severe knot at the nape of her neck. However, it was a pair of light purple eyes under dark brows that immediately gained her attention. Those eyes were not only unique in color, but they held an awareness of the universe that was disconcerting to say the least.

"I shouldn't?" Satine asked, her voice low to match the stillness of the morning air.

"No," the child shook her head, her lips a perfect cupid's bow, were pinched in a worried line. "It's dangerous to be this close to the Low City right now. People will be returning from The Red House and the cantina's right now. You don't want to encounter them alone before the police begin their patrol."

"Thank you for your concern," the Duchess said kindly, "but what about you? Should you be out here alone then?"

The child shrugged, "I know how to hide, and I'm fast. I'll be alright. But you..." she tilted her head to the side, taking Satine in.

The woman was tall, taller than most women, and her figure was rail thin. She had the sharpest cheekbones and blue eyes that could cut as deep as a beskar blade. She was someone to be remembered and unlike Indaria, she hadn't gotten good at hiding it.

"You're beautiful."

"You are very pretty, too," Satine said the words innocently, intending for them to be a compliment, but instead, the girl's face lost its color, and she looked as if she were about to cry.