The Ring Ceremony

Both of them went downstairs and had lunch, with the other members of the family who were free at that time. Maithili was in her room, to rest for some time while everyone else from her family was busy doing something or the other.

"Karan beta, please go and pick your Suman mausiji  up from the airport." Maithili's mother Krishna, asked, while simultaneously instructing someone in the kitchen. Both Anisha and Dhairya looked up from their mobile phones respectively.

"But mamiji, I have to help dad and mamaji here with some arrangements. I can't leave them in the middle! It will take me almost an hour to reach the airport and I am sure, Dad won't let me spare that much time." He replied apologetically and she nodded. The stress was clearly visible on her face because her husband's Suman jiji was known for creating tantrums in occasions like these because of her being the eldest. And if she would have to travel here in a cab without any family member being there to pick her up when she arrives at the airport from London, she is bound to create fuss.

"Aunty! Don't worry! I will go and pick buaji up from the airport! She knows me and even adores me, so there won't be any problem. Moreover, I don't have any such important work assigned to me yet here, so I will be more than happy to help!" Dhairya offered and Krishna sighed in relief. Thanking God for sending such a lovely kid in her daughter's life as her best friend, she nodded and caressed his face.

"Thank me later, when I come back, with some sweets, Aunty!! For I would be needing them." He joked in order to lighten the atmosphere and both of them laughed, while Krishna shook her head.

"Come on Anisha, let's move or else, we will get late!" He said, picking up the car keys from the key holder.

"Wait, what! I am not coming with you!" She tried denying, keyword, tried. She stood up, moved closer to him and spoke, "That woman has never ending list of complaints and a habit of grumbling at anything and everything. Bearing her here is more than enough for me, I don't want to add another hour of that grumbling into my schedule. Moreover, she doesn't seem to be very fond of me too. So I don't think she would like it if I go to the airport!!" She whispered to him and he frowned.

"Oh! So you think that I am very happy, making my ears bleed for an hour or so? I am just doing this for Krishna aunty, for she is like a mother figure to me! I can't see her stressed for a reason as silly as this. Besides, that woman is just so extra fond of me, which I personally don't like, so I guess, we are sailing on the same boat! Now, let's go, because, you are the only person here after me who practically has no work to do here!" He whisper yelled back at her and her face expressions changed. She was annoyed that she had to go with him, but she had no other option.

"Why are you still here Dhairya? Leave now or else you will get late!! Also, take Anisha along with you!" Krishna advised and Dhairya grinned, looking at Anisha who just rolled her eyes in response.

"Whatever!!" She spoke under her breath and followed Dhairya to the car. She was opening the door to the back seat when she heard him say, "Hello madam! I am not you driver here, that you sit at the back, while I sit in the driver's seat, move to the passenger seat in the front, and that's not a request!" She silently followed the order, without any expression. Buckling the seatbelt, she stared out of the window, wordlessly, as the trees and houses whizzed past her. 

There was no need to get so rude with her. After all, if Maithili was his best friend, then even she was his friend as per him only. That friend whom he has met after five long years. Moreover, they never shared such a friendship where they could say anything and everything to each other. Theirs was a relation where both of them respected each other.

After about ten minutes, getting passed in silence, Dhairya could not bear it any more. He shouldn't have spoken so rudely with her. She was not someone who spoke rude and accepted the same tone very easily.