Haldi Ceremony

''Anisha, this oxidised jewel- wait, are you blushing?'' Maithili turned around and stopped her musings as soon as she had one look at her friend's face. Raising an eyebrow she put her hands on her waist, waiting, as her friend tried coming up with a plausible explanation.

''What? No!'' She looked on as Anisha analyzed her face in the mirror. By the way she was patting her cheeks, it was as if she wanted the hue to go away.

'Interesting' Maithili thought to herself as Anisha came and plopped down by her side, avoiding her eyes. If she thought that she was going to let the topic slide away, then boy, she was wrong. If there was somebody who could make her blush like that, without even being physically present in the room, then, she needed to know about it. She had to, she was Anisha's best friend after all.

''You like somebody.'' She stated as a matter-of-fact and then continued, ''And if I am not wrong, that somebody is present here! Who is it?'' Wiggling her eyebrows suggestively, Maithili grinned ear to ear, thinking about the prospect of her friend liking someone. She had never seen Anisha have a even crush in college, leave alone love.  

''Mithu! You are just assuming things. It is nothing like that!'' Anisha whined but Maithili was not in mood to leave the topic so soon. After all, teasing your best friend with the name of their crush is sort of heavenly bliss.

''No, don't try and deny that. I have never seen you blush profusely like this before during college days or any of our meet ups. Something's definitely brewing up!" Rubbing her hands in glee, she nudged Anisha, trying to convince her to divulge the details. She sighed when she was met with none.

"There is nothing going on! Stop with your nonsense and get back to work. Okay?" Anisha chided her defensively making an exit from the room, leaving her alone with her own thoughts.

"Anisha, no matter how hard you try, I am Maithili, your best friend. I will get to know what is going on behind my back, by hook or by crook!" She spoke to herself as she stared at the wall in front of her, determined.

"Interesting! Very Interesting!"

**********

Anisha heaved a sigh of relief as she shut the door of her room and bolted it. Trying to calm her erratic heartbeat down, she practiced breathing pattern for a few seconds, before grabbing a glass from the side table and pouring water for herself in it.

Gulping it quickly, she half laid down on the bed, her hands spread wide on her sides and her legs dangling down the bed. She stared at the rotating fan as she recalled how she had zoned out during her conversation with Maithili, thinking about the happenings of the previous day and apparently blushed and had almost gotten caught red handed. 

Anisha knew Maithili was not someone who would leave the topic very soon but she was glad that she had let it go for the time being. That girl literally lived on gossips during their college time. You name the person and she gives you the information about the latest happenings of their lives. Not that she was an eavesdropper or some nosy classmate, but she had a way with words and an awesome network amongst the class, thus, the gossips would anyhow reach her ears before they could reach anybody else's.

A smile made its way to her lips as she reminisced the events of the previous day. She was surprised when she saw Dhairya clicking a picture of hers but he brushed it off as a casual moment. What he never realized was that none of her moments with him were casual ever. Had it been somebody else in his place, she would have labelled the other person as a creep for clicking her picture, without even bothering to inform her but that was not the case. It was him and she felt fuzzy as she realized that he felt the want to keep a picture of hers with him. The choreographers had reached soon after and they had finalized the songs to be used. Practicing for an hour or so, they had made their way back to Maithili's home, without getting caught by her, fortunately, otherwise, she would have bombarded them with a lot of questions.