Eighteen

Safely on Zemo's plane, I clean my metal hand as Sam talks to Torres over the phone.

"Donya Madani," Sam states. "She's a refugee, yeah... Okay, call me if you get a hit... Thanks, Torres."

He hangs up the phone with a sigh, collapsing into his seat.

"You okay?" I ask him.

"Yeah," Sam mumbles. "Just thinking about all the shit Sharon had to go through. And Nagel referring to the American test subject like Isaiah wasn't even a real person... Just makes me wonder how many people have to get steamrolled to make way for this hunk of metal."

"Well, it depends on who you ask," I reply. "That hunk of metal saved a lot of lives."

"Yeah, I get that. All right?" Sam states. "Maybe I made a mistake."

"You did," I confirm.

"Yeah," Sam continues. "Maybe I shouldn't have put it in a museum. Maybe I should have destroyed it."

I shift my gaze to him. "Look, that shield represents a lotta things to a lotta people, including me. The world is... upside down, and we need a new Cap, and it ain't gonna be Walker. So, before you go and destroy it, I'm gonna take it from him myself."

Sam looks at me but says nothing, and his phone vibrates a moment later. He answers it as Zemo and Oeznik bring us each a plate of food.

"They found Madani..." Sam states as he hangs up the phone. "Dead. She died in Riga, a city near the Baltic Sea."

"I have a place we can go," Zemo informs us." I, for one, am looking forward to coming face to face with Karli. Oeznik, we are changing the course."

"Yes, sir," Oeznik replies, shuffling off to inform the pilot.

Zemo settles into his seat, studying Y/n for a few seconds. She looks up from her meal, brows furrowing as she catches his eye.

"Can I help you?" she asks.

"You are a Widow," Zemo states. "And you work for Selby."

"I was a Widow, and I worked for Selby," Y/n corrects.

Zemo nods. "So who do you work for now?"

Y/n tenses for a second before glaring at Zemo. "Wouldn't you like to know?"

"Leave her alone, Zemo," Sam orders. "She's a mercenary. She works for whoever contracts her."

Zemo smiles, but doesn't press Y/n any further.

Riga, Latvia.

"I heard what became of Sokovia," Zemo declares, leading us down the dark street. "Cannibalized by its neighbours before the land was cleared of rubble, erased from the map. I don't suppose any of you bothered visiting the memorial? ...Of course not. Why would you? ...We are here."

Zemo gestures to a large townhouse, climbing the steps with Sam and Y/n following behind. However, I don't follow after hearing a soft beeping coming from the ground. The others don't seem to notice it.

"I'm gonna go on a walk," I inform them.

"You good?" Sam asks.

"Yeah," I confirm, turning around. "See you guys in a bit."

As soon as they disappear into the building, I pluck the kimoyo bead from the ground, following the trail of beeping down the street and into an empty alleyway.

I lift the beads into the air, calling out. "You dropped something."

I glance back the way I came, but as I turn forward, I come face to face with the Dora Milaje warrior, Ayo.

"I'm here for Zemo," she states in her native tongue, Wakandan.