Twenty-Two

In the early afternoon, Zemo leads us through the streets. As we round the next corner, Walker and Hoskins suddenly appear up ahead, making their way toward us.

"Karli Morgenthau is too dangerous for you guys to be pulling this shit," Walker exclaims.

"Ah! How'd you find us now?" I ask.

"Come on," Hoskins replies. "You think two Avengers can walk around Latvia without drawing attention?"

"No more keeping us in the dark," Walker demands, pointing at Zemo. "You could start by telling us why you broke him out of prison."

"He did that himself, technically," I correct.

Walker loses his patience. "Oh, this better be an unbelievable explana—"

"Hey, take it easy before it gets weird," Sam cuts in.

"I know where Karli is," Zemo informs, moving to step around them.

Walker stops him. "Well, where?"

"All we know is, it's a memorial," Sam explains. "So, we're gonna intercept her there."

Zemo pushes past Walker, continuing up the street with us in tow.

"That means civilians," Hoskins states. "High risk of casualties."

"Alright, good," Walker says. "We'll move in fast. Take her by surprise."

"No, I wanna talk to her alone," Sam demands.

"I'm not losing her again," Walker argues.

"Look, the person closest to her died," Sam reasons. "She's vulnerable. If there's any time to reason with her, it's now."

"What? No!" Walker exclaims, picking up his pace to get in front of us. "Hold on. I think we're way past reasoning with her, unless you forgot that she blew up a building with people still in it."

"Sam, you walk in there cold, she could kill you, man," Hoskins reasons.

"And if I go in hot and the op goes wrong, more people will die," Sam argues.

Walker turns to me. "You're gonna let him do this? Are you gonna let your partner walk into a room with a Super Soldier alone?"

"He's dealt with worse," I state. "And he's not my partner."

"I used to counsel soldiers dealing with trauma, okay?" Sam adds. "This is right in my wheelhouse."

"I know," Walker admits. "And I know those soldiers, which is why I know this is a bad idea."

"Karli's not a soldier," Y/n chimes in. Walker turns to face her. "She's just a kid. She's a kid who's trying to stand up for people like her, people who have been forced out of the places they've called home for the last five years and who have been ignored by governments all over the world. All they want is for someone to listen to them, to understand their side of things, and since no one will listen, she's resorting to violence... 'Cause at least that will draw attention."

Walker opens his mouth to argue, but Hoskins steps in. "Wait, John... If he can talk her down, it might be worth a try."

Walker thinks it over, finally scoffing as he turns to Zemo. "We'll deal with you later."

"I'm sure it will all come to an agreeable conclusion," Zemo assures him before gesturing up the street. "My associate is just up ahead."

We look to where he's pointing to see the girl from this morning, and we follow Zemo as he approaches her.

"Hello, my friend," Zemo greets, handing her 500 Euros. "This is for your family. Can you show us the way?"

The girl quickly tucks the money into her jacket, gesturing for us to follow her as she leads the way to the church. Entering through the back door, the girl opens a door leading to a hallway, pointing upwards before continuing through.

Zemo turns to us. "Karli's in there."

"Alright," Sam replies, following the girl through the door.

Walker grabs Zemo's arm, cuffing him to a bar on the nearby boiler before calling after Sam. "You got ten minutes. Then we're doing things my way."

"Aggressive," Zemo remarks, glancing down at his handcuffed wrist. "But I get it."